My Mill shows up in 2 days, help me get outfitted

The recommendations are accurate. Don't use a catalog as a wish book, there are hoards of nonsense devices that trigger 'Igottahaveone' just like impulse purchases in retail. Many are little more than toys; impractical, flashy, whose only purpose is generate profit to seller. None of that s**t existed in the past, and "we" machinists got along fine, turning out incredible work. The basics are dependable, and the real foundation [but hidden] behind silly tricks.
Simple shopping list. Write down every thing we've listed, put a hash mark when they are mentioned again. whatever collect the most marks, start there. Do not think a box full of goodies makes you a machinist.
Starting out, a DRO is not critical, might even be a hindrance. Develop as a machinist, not an operator. Learn the trig, use simple algebra and tolerancing so they work for you, not hidden in a mysterious electronic display.

Want to keep track of multiple table positions? 2 strips of masking tape; 1 on the table, another short piece directly adjacent on it's mate. Use a fine point ink pen, mark a line at your position 7.562 whatever, write that at line and set dial to coincide. Your mill probably has .200 dials[one rotation = .200 travel] the dial at .162 [both 1 an 5 are odd]. 7.618 will read .018. You will watch those lines approach, then look at the dial, and position as fast you can read, without overshooting common with DRO's.

Last edited:
I know a dro is a luxury

If you are sensible, have the money and are not miserly, and want to make parts in batches, then a DRO will pay for itself in the time you save surprisingly quickly!
Hobby Machining, and particularly Model Engineering can be overly influenced by Luddites who don't mind how much they don't get done before the box catches up with them, I'm not in agreement, I want to get as much done as possible before I fall off my log! :D

I want to get as much done as possible before I fall off my log! :D
Agreed! Especially since I'm on the last 1/3 of my log and you can't go backwards. My DRO dramatically improves my accuracy and speed. It's kind of like using a calculator instead of paper and pencil. They just aren't that expensive but may take a bit of work to fit on your equipment.

Hobby Machining, and particularly Model Engineering can be overly influenced by Luddites who don't mind how much they don't get done before the box catches up with them

A decent DRO is a rather expensive proposition, and installing it is a Project. Having done this once (albeit on the cheap) for the Taig mill, I'm not in any rush to repeat the experience on the Bridgeport. And I think I just proved to myself that it's the time involved, not the money, as I recently purchased a chuck that is more expensive than any of the DROs I was looking at :)

My dro setup will run me less than $500. Making brackets and setting it up sounds like fun to me :D. My question on them would be, do I really need the Z axis dro? My machine comes with a dro for the z column, just not the quil. Is setting the stop good enough? It's only $50 more for the z but money is money right now. I dont even want to admit how much I have dropped in the last 2 days buying supplies.

My dro setup will run me less than $500. Making brackets and setting it up sounds like fun to me :D. My question on them would be, do I really need the Z axis dro? My machine comes with a dro for the z column, just not the quil. Is setting the stop good enough? It's only $50 more for the z but money is money right now. I dont even want to admit how much I have dropped in the last 2 days buying supplies.
You are not done YET!

You will never regret spending the $50 on the Z axis

Back