My new auction Buy! Kiln/heat treat furnace?

Uh oh, you won't be able to do M2 in that oven. It requires a heat treating (Austentizing) temperature of 2200F. You can normalize it for stress relief and make it easy to work on though. That does not require such high temps.

I'd suggest starting-out with something easy like 1045, 1095, 4140 (or 50) or O2. For O2, you'll need a vat of transmission fluid. The others are just water/brine quenched.

Hate to tell you this buddy but, you just opened Pandora's door and now you need a surface grinder. You also opened the door to a whole new world because you can make any part out of most any metal and it will function about the same and have the same strength. All non-heat treated steels have roughly the same strength characteristics and it doesn't really make a huge difference until you heat treat it. You've just added a whole new dimension to your bag of tricks.

Ray

I've been keeping my eyes open for a surface grinder and a tool post grinder. I'm in no hurry. I'm pretty patient and open minded when it comes to waiting for deals to come my way. I lost the last SG that I bid on because I was too cheap, I could have gotten that one for about $600 but the other guy was hot on it and kept bidding it up. If i had kept bidding on it, it could have went way into the realm of ridiculous. So, i stopped bidding.

There's a do-all manual surface grinder on that same site but it says the lubrication system is broken, not knowing much about surface grinders, I'm thinking it needs a pump. I have no idea what that would cost to fix.

Marcel

So check this out. I went to get the kiln and the maintenance guy at the school proceeds to tell me that they couldn't hook it up properly because they had the wrong voltage. They must have 3 phase with 208 volts using 2 legs. This is a single phase 240 volt kiln. The guy told me it's brand new, never been fired! It sure looks brand new inside. The only thing it's missing is the left side prop-leg for the lid. It wasn't showing the base in the auction photos or the 2 kiln shelves with the 2 spacer blocks, those came with it too!:lmao:

20131230_145123_zpszbnsqr88.jpg

20131230_145142_zpsp5a7jcog.jpg

20131230_145211_zps859nw38m.jpg

20131230_145226_zpsxcj2yyhs.jpg

Ray, do you think I could use those stoneware shelves for heat treating instead of making a grate?

Marcel

20131230_145123_zpszbnsqr88.jpg

20131230_145142_zpsp5a7jcog.jpg

20131230_145211_zps859nw38m.jpg

20131230_145226_zpsxcj2yyhs.jpg

Marcel, you officially suck!!!:thumbsup:

What a sweet deal you got here!!!!!!

My daughter has one of those four glass, those plates that you got with it have to have a special kind of coating painted on them.
I don't know if that was to protect them or to keep the glass from sticking to them. have fun and enjoy.

Marciel,
Dude, youre killing me.... I cant keep up with your pace bro. I really like the idea for different uses and the ability to do computer controlled heat treatment is going to add a whole new dimension to your machining capabilities. I can see a home built rifle with color hardening somewhere in your future. If the freight wasn't soo high I would send some stuff to you for treatment when you get it all set up and running. Doesn't look like it is going to be too difficult to get some serious use out of it for all kinds of projects. Once you start it Is like crack, you'll be looking for more stuff to put in to fill it up so you can run that batch. Kind of like that last minute swirl through the house looking for stuff to put in the dishwasher so you can get that part of the house keeping done for the day. Best of luck and congrats on another killer find and great idea....

Bob

I really don't have an informed answer about using that shelving material for heat treating. My inclination is to say no but, in reality, if everything is contained within the oven -and everything including the shelf material are at the same temperature, it's hard to think of a reason why you cannot use it... Sorry, I don't have a definitive answer.

If you feel however that owning such a device that has such a perplexing aspect to it, is causing you grief and unhappiness, I'll gladly take it off your hands -so you can be free of that burdensome worry.

BTW: Never cover-up any of the slots that house the heating coil. Try to keep all things at least an inch clear of the elements... You'll cook the elements in no time as those are designed to be "open radiator" types (vs. the ceramic core types).

Ray

Back