My new Gregco Lathe - Australian Made 1940s

paul_cpu

Registered
Registered
I have the Chinese Mini, then I got the little Sherline, this weekend that just passed I brought home a new friend.

It is a "New Gregco" I believe is around late 1940's. It is Australian made. It was reasonable condition just dirty. I have not fully disassembled it but I have taken apart the slides and cleaned them, cleaned the bed, the gears, the spare gears, the pulleys and the chuck. I also have a 4 jaw chuck aswell.

It is a great little lathe and 70 years old then the Chinese Mini but it's much nicer to work with.

Info: http://www.lathes.co.uk/brackenbury&austin/

It was pretty dirty

IMG_2104.JPG
IMG_2103.JPG

But it came up nice after a few hours cleaning

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 8.47.47 pm.jpg
IMG_2130.JPG

Nice looking machine. What kinds of projects do you have planned for it?

Remember the rabbit hole !
Me thinks you are well into it !
Congratulations !
If you are like me each of these you have at the different sizes will have interesting uses and each will be better at certain processes than one of the others, and that is how the herd grows !

Pretty much that's it, for really small items I find the sherline the goto machine. As the Chinese can do metric threads thats good for that. For steel and larger jobs the New Gregco is perfect. It feels really nice to use which means it's in pretty good nick as there is no movement I can see. I will still pull it "more" apart once the initial fun has worn off and give it a really good going over.

It has reduction gears that allow the chuck to turn incredibly slow bu a took is broken off so I will have to get a gear made for that.

Next machine is the mill.

Looks like a solid old girl, congrats!

IMG_2227.jpg

I have now stripped and cleaned the Lathe and moved it into my shed. I swapped the change gears to as "slow" as they will go but it still moves to fast for clean cuts so I have ordered a few slow rotation DC motors ( with steel gearbox ) and made a shim for the gear. This is drive the auto feed really slow. I'll take some photos next time I am out there.

Are you sure this machine is supposed to have power feed? No separate feed shaft so it would rely on the leadscrew. I genuinely don't know myself, but that thought came about when you said you couldn't get the feed rate slow enough.
Peter

I have the Chinese Mini, then I got the little Sherline, this weekend that just passed I brought home a new friend.

It is a "New Gregco" I believe is around late 1940's. It is Australian made. It was reasonable condition just dirty. I have not fully disassembled it but I have taken apart the slides and cleaned them, cleaned the bed, the gears, the spare gears, the pulleys and the chuck. I also have a 4 jaw chuck aswell.

It is a great little lathe and 70 years old then the Chinese Mini but it's much nicer to work with.

Info: http://www.lathes.co.uk/brackenbury&austin/

It was pretty dirty

View attachment 344661
View attachment 344662

But it came up nice after a few hours cleaning

View attachment 344660
View attachment 344663

Looks well made and quite substantial as well.

Back