My new Gregco Lathe - Australian Made 1940s

Are you sure this machine is supposed to have power feed? No separate feed shaft so it would rely on the leadscrew. I genuinely don't know myself, but that thought came about when you said you couldn't get the feed rate slow enough.
Peter
Your right I I mean the lead screw turns to fast.

What a neat little lathe, and an interesting design based around a single central foot rather than a foot at each end. It is nice to see vintage lathes that we rarely see in the US.

As far as the lead screw / power feed I don't think it is unusual for a small lathe to use a single screw as both the lead screw and to drive the power feed. The change gears should control the speed of the power feed.

What a neat little lathe, and an interesting design based around a single central foot rather than a foot at each end. It is nice to see vintage lathes that we rarely see in the US.

As far as the lead screw / power feed I don't think it is unusual for a small lathe to use a single screw as both the lead screw and to drive the power feed. The change gears should control the speed of the power feed.
Yep, that is how my SB9C is.
Looks like an Atlas type, except the base.

I've got one of these myself. No. 531. Unfortunately it was not in good nick. I've been slowly trying to resurrect it. I'm missing a few components that I will need to have made. If you ever have the back gear assembly out of yours, a few detailed photos of the shaft & eccentric bushes would be a godsend for me. It's hard for me to have those bits made when I don't know what they are:p
Your photos & video have already been very helpful. Nice old machines.

Cheers
Billy

View attachment 348549

I have now stripped and cleaned the Lathe and moved it into my shed. I swapped the change gears to as "slow" as they will go but it still moves to fast for clean cuts so I have ordered a few slow rotation DC motors ( with steel gearbox ) and made a shim for the gear. This is drive the auto feed really slow. I'll take some photos next time I am out there.
Hi Paul, like you I have a New Gregco except I'm where you were a couple of years ago with a 70 year old machine with 70 years of accumulated dirt and grime. As to you feed issue, I have attached a photo of the gear train showing my setup which gives reasonably slow feed, hope it helps.

Attachments

• 20220907_101510.jpg
    20220907_101510.jpg
    776.9 KB · Views: 12
I just picked up a new Greco myself!

Mine seems very similar to the first one. I was wondering if you could take a photo of the tag that sits on top of the gearbox cover? Mine is missing (even though I have many gears)

I just picked up a new Greco myself!

Mine seems very similar to the first one. I was wondering if you could take a photo of the tag that sits on top of the gearbox cover? Mine is missing (even though I have many gears)

Attachments

• 20220907_095646.jpg
    20220907_095646.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220907_095640.jpg
    20220907_095640.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 5
Thanks mate, I appreciate it! I'm enjoying the challenge of relearning new skills with this one. Turns out there is a fair bit of restoration that might need to happen to mine!

Back