My "New" Logan 200-1 (Warning, Picture Heavy)

Fairbanks

Active User
Registered
Greetings from Bozeman Montana! First of all, a big Thank You to the good folks here that (patiently) helped with my beginner questions and provided great advice on what I needed to look for on this lathe before buying it.

Before I found this machine I didn't know anything about Logan. After spending some time with this unit I think they are a very well made machine. By the way, there don't seem to be any bargains on used equipment here in Montana. This being the case I ended up paying $1,800 for this package. I guess this seems fair to me but I'm curious- What do you folks think?

The machine appears to be filthy but in original, complete, very good condition. The serial number indicates a 1944 date of manufacture. I am not planning any significant restoration. I would like to simply clean it up, use it and fix or replace what ever I find that needs work. As you can see the first 6 pictures show the lathe and stand. The last 4 pictures show the tooling that came with it.

Here are some pictures of what I brought home. On the left side of the bench appears to be the stuff that was (probably) included with the original package (I like the milling attachment!). It looks like 3 of the change gears are missing. In the center of the bench is a spare (new, unused) bed which doesn't have a factory serial number (I may try to sell this, not sure). On the right side of the bench are all the odds and ends that were included.

Your comments are welcome, please fire away!!

Steve

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG006.JPG007.JPG008.JPG009.JPG010.JPG

010.JPG 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG

That is a great machine. I don't think you have any complaints on price. You have a WHOLE LOT OF TOOLING with that deal. I wish I'd been that lucky on my purchase. Thank you for letting us see your early Christmas present. Now, comes the real fun.

Good for you. As far as price, as long as you are happy ... it was a good price ... and it sounded like you been looking for a little bit. Sometimes it is hard to put numbers on all the "extra stuff" ... and sometimes it depends on if you will use the extra stuff.

Just thinking off the top of my head:
milling attachment - $200
steady rest - $150
pile of HSS bits - $30-40
turret tool post - $40
extra bed - $??
both sets of jaws for the three jaw - $??
an extra 4 jaw chuck - $??
boring bars - $??
a bunch of other little odds & ends I can't quite make out (must be a slitting saw arbor? maybe a drilling pad?) - $??

My 210 looks very to be in very similar condition (hard to tell from pics) and paid a bit less. But ... I had no milling attachment, so I bought a mill. I bought a steady rest. I have had to buy several change gears (and still need more). Looking at a new 3 jaw, as I don't have both sets of jaws. I bought a tool post, because I wanted to get rid of the lantern. I've bought boring bars and a couple piles of old HSS tooling.

Point is ... my lathe was cheaper ... but I have probably caught up to you.:))

Well, like i said B4 you purchased, I think you got a hell-of-a deal with all that tooling. You saved months of shopping and you would have quit before acquiring that much.

Lets see some chips.

I think you did well, Steve. The extra tooling and other accessories push the value up in a hurry! I know I initially thought the price a bit high, but now that I've gotten a better look at what you have, I think it was priced about right. Neither you nor the seller came out poorly on this one.

Don't forget the Legs & Drip pan. $250-$350? I gave up trying to find a set for mine.
I'd love to have that tailstock, that is handy.
I think the Milling attachment is worth a bit. I've bid on few over the years and drop out @$200.
Those are handy as hell, especially when you consider that the Logan has roller bearings.

_Dan

OK, what the heck is this?
attachment.jpg
I noticed it in the original pics and its had my curiosity since.

attachment.jpg

Steve -
I was going to post this up the other day and forgot. A list of the full set of gears and what I am guessing is on your lathe (based on the one pic in the add)
Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

If you need to get a few change gears, also get the 37/47 tooth set from Scott Logan. Then you can do metric threads on your lathe.

Oh Yeh;

I think you did just fine, Steve. Very nice looking machine. Lots of goodies there. From what I can see it looks like the compound hasn't even been crashed. A good sign of careful usage. Personally, I'd prefer it to be on the factory legs and pan. They just look more righter to me that way, lack of storage notwithstanding. So... what's the first project?

Back