My new to me Industrial Hobbies Milling Machine

minsk

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
hey guys,
yeah it's me again :). So i got rid of my round column mill..to my little things to deal with. I was very lucky in scoring this Industrial Hobbies Milling Machine. It has a Unist mister, Fagor 40i DRO and scales, It has a powerfeed. Just a good mill for my needs.. I have a question so this came with a 1/2 -13 NT30 drawbar.

My plan is to go full CNC on this. So my plan is to use iso30 with a new metric drawbar. My long winded question is has any here built the stud puller for the end of the draw bar. I am also going to go with pneumatic powered draw bar. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IndustrialHobbiesMill.jpg
    IndustrialHobbiesMill.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 130
I have not messed with a power draw-bar. But, I think you will like this mill! I have had one for quite a while now and used IH's kit to convert it to CNC using MACH 3 and two printer ports years ago. It has "just worked" ever since. (Knock on wood.) My only major complaint was that the column had to be shimmed because it leaned a little bit forward and I ended up with little ridges when fly-cutting. I think I shimmed it about 5 mils or so. Mine is an R8 version.

I can send info. (pictures etc.) on how IH did their CNC when you get to that point. Might be a good reference point.

I have not messed with a power draw-bar. But, I think you will like this mill! I have had one for quite a while now and used IH's kit to convert it to CNC using MACH 3 and two printer ports years ago. It has "just worked" ever since. (Knock on wood.) My only major complaint was that the column had to be shimmed because it leaned a little bit forward and I ended up with little ridges when fly-cutting. I think I shimmed it about 5 mils or so. Mine is an R8 version.

I can send info. (pictures etc.) on how IH did their CNC when you get to that point. Might be a good reference point.
thank s reddinar...i belive im going to go servo and linuxcnc....i have two cnc machines i have build with nema34s and gecko540s...i use smoothstepper ethernet....

I have servos, Gecko's and a break-out board driven by parallel ports at this point. Same setup for about 15 years. I have purchased an ethernet smooth-stepper to upgrade my system and allow me to upgrade operating systems (presently Windows XP). Mach 3 had trouble with Win 7 and up on my system. Planning on Mach 4 but maybe I'll have a quick look at Linux CNC again.

I have looked at Linux CNC in the past but always hesitated because of lack of drivers. This may be old information. I am working slowly on a CNC plasma setup so I might have another look for that too.

Here's a pic. of their mechanical setup. Encoder on the ball-screw and servo driving a belt. X-Limit just under the vice, Z-limit shown at the top, right of the column. Although the servos look massive, most of it is an aluminum case. If I had to guess I would say they were sort of Nema-23 sized motor guts that don't seem to work too hard. The Geckos are barely warm.
20200816_120704.jpg

I have servos, Gecko's and a break-out board driven by parallel ports at this point. Same setup for about 15 years. I have purchased an ethernet smooth-stepper to upgrade my system and allow me to upgrade operating systems (presently Windows XP). Mach 3 had trouble with Win 7 and up on my system. Planning on Mach 4 but maybe I'll have a quick look at Linux CNC again.

I have looked at Linux CNC in the past but always hesitated because of lack of drivers. This may be old information. I am working slowly on a CNC plasma setup so I might have another look for that too.

Here's a pic. of their mechanical setup. Encoder on the ball-screw and servo driving a belt. X-Limit just under the vice, Z-limit shown at the top, right of the column. Although the servos look massive, most of it is an aluminum case. If I had to guess I would say they were sort of Nema-23 sized motor guts that don't seem to work too hard. The Geckos are barely warm.
View attachment 436430
nice setup . odd..i have windows 11 on my lap top and i run mach 3 seamlessly with smoothstepper...ive always run mach 3 on laptops..those servo motrs are wacky...who makes them....they are so darn expensive...dmm makes a nice one now..think im going to scroe them...your machine is alooot cleaner than mine :)

I've only tried with Mach 3 on parallel ports so far. Possibly will work fine with smooth-stepper if I get that change done. I hate to touch something that is working though. The round aluminum servo enclosures were machined by IH. The motors inside are pretty small compared to their enclosures and nothing special. Can't complain about IH's machining quality back then.

I've only tried with Mach 3 on parallel ports so far. Possibly will work fine with smooth-stepper if I get that change done. I hate to touch something that is working though. The round aluminum servo enclosures were machined by IH. The motors inside are pretty small compared to their enclosures and nothing special. Can't complain about IH's machining quality back then.
i've only heard good things about this build.

Back