My next Project

Tony Wells

President Emeritus (Retired)
Registered
Bill, a lot of the guys here are just starting out, so naturally they are building tooling and exploring techniques that will be used on their main projects. It's people like you, that already work on models and objects, that are needed here to help those folks get to the stage you are. We have a mix of people here, from starting to think about what machinery to buy, to retired professional machinists. Everyone has a place here. Including you.

No apology needed, Bill. What you said is true. People are posting more on tooling/equipment than projects. It is my opinion that given a little time, many of the guys will turn their attention to building models, working on firearms, and gadgets.

Also, some of us are not model builders or hobbyists. I don't have really small machinery. I build parts to print for commercial customers, and very little for myself. Most of them are proprietary and I can't put up pictures without violating my NDA's. So, I'm here mostly to help out with people who need a little advice to get started. The only model maker's lathe I've ever owned was a little Unimat back in '79. I was working in a machine shop at the time, but wanted a machine at home. I built a handful of medical prototypes, and gave it away. Other than that, I can't give any recommendations on what is currently available for the small scale machinist, or model maker. I do have an interest in Horology, and I figure that since real old watch/clockmakers lathes are pretty pricey, I'll build one myself, customized to my own specifications. And I'll document the project. And I'll share it with the group here.

Also bear in mind, Bill, that we are just getting off the ground as far as this forum goes too, so things will sort out as time goes by. Eventually, most everyone will have all the accessories and tooling built, and they will either get on with projects that aren't "for the shop", or they will lose interest in the hobby. I hope that most will tackle a good project, after getting tooled up as best they can.

What a nice challenge that will be Bill. Its hard to imagine doing 18 or multiples thereof of head, pistons, rings, cylinders, etc. Seems like its taken me forever on my little one-lunger project. I will look forward to following the build though. I have seen one of the 9 cyl radials from Ageless Engines plans running and they are truly awe-inspiring!! Best wishes as you begin.

Bill

Bill,

As a beginnner/novice - "feels like a complete idiot" ;) that Pratt and Whitney looks like it will be an awesome build. I, personally, can't wait to watch you develop it and really appreciate your sharing it.

Thanks,

-Ron (ex-RC aircraft hobbiest and WWII aircraft "fan")

I'll drop in my 2 cents worth. The reason I haven't posted much as far as engines is because it's already been done. In many cases it's been done better. Most of what I've made so far are very simple wobblers, and a bunch of rockers.

Back on HMEM, when it seemed everyone was making rockers, I got into the act, and made my first runner. I believe I posted pics of it back then. Since then, the neighborhood kids liked my engine so much, that I decided to make a whole slew of them, and give them out. Mostly PVC, and greatly simplified, I made sure each could run on lung power, and gave them away to the kids that showed interest. Several have not survived, but that's okay. They were made as toys, and used as such.

When someone such as the OP decides to make somthing this complicated, I follow along, and try to glean as much as I can from whatever setups and tips are posted. But, being a rank beginner, I don't have much to add, so I usually keep my mouth shut. While I appreciate the engines, I will probably never make it to that level, as I am not committed to putting in the time and effort to do so. Maybe someday, when I am retired, or my son grows up and moves out, but for now it's just a pleasant diversion.

That's a great print Bill...whats even more amazing is that it appears to be drawn and not CAD work though i could be wrong on that. Anyway you have to admire someone that can visualize a complex 3 dimensional engine and reduce it to 2 dimensions in a clear and relatively uncluttered way. Keep your socks and shoes on so those feet won't get cold...very much looking forward to your progress on this one.

Bill L.

Back