My order for the first lathe : Sanity check on my HiTorque 8.5x20 Bench Lathe 7500 order

One of the add on purchases in his list is the conversion kit to metric for the cross feed and compound. I had to look it up on the LMS site to make sure.
Sorry, I missed that. Thanks. I know I shouldn't try to think before my second cup of coffee, but it's hard to remember that before I've had my second cup of coffee.

Tom

Higgite,
I awoke this morning at 3:42 (I have a big project today, and it made my sleep restless). Coffee cup number 4 was in my hand, which gave me an unreasonable advantage. I suspect the project will tucker me out, and it may make me sleep in to 6:00 tomorrow morning.

A ton of other stuff that you will discover as you become more experienced and widen your horizon of projects. All part of the fun.

Thanks

Is the LMS 7500 lathe available with metric dials? The description says inch dials. I have the predecessor to the 7500 (the 3540) and it has inch dials. I think it's a very good hobby lathe, by the way. And LMS is great to deal with.

Already thought of that, it was shown in my cart in first post as imperial to metric conversation kit. :)

Yes but going to USA isn't feasible and Quebec has closed their borders again.

That would be creating websites, it is hard for me.

I wasn't suggesting traveling to the US, rather wondering if your local market might come up with something good if you are patient.

Good luck with your schooling, it will eventually lead to enough income to pursue whatever hobbies you like. I might suggest network security if you want a challenge that will pay off handsomely.

Cheers,

JOhn

I wasn't suggesting traveling to the US, rather wondering if your local market might come up with something good if you are patient.

I worry I may get cursed to witness a 'better' used metal lathe go in the local market AFTER i buy this LMS 750 or PM-1030. :blue:

For an indicator holder Noga makes good ones, and they aren't super expensive. You can get them for $50-100 depending on which size and options you choose.

You mentioned the space you have, but something else to think about is how many more moves are you going to have? It sounds like you are maybe a college student? I don't see it mentioned much but what lathe to buy really should consider the stage in your life you are at. If you are settled, in a house where you will probably be until the end of your days then going through a difficult move in with a big lathe, possibly paying riggers to set it up is worthwhile, because it is one and done. If you are young with many moves ahead of you, and shop space variable, something small and easy to move (multiple times) is definitely a plus.

I worry I may get cursed to witness a 'better' used metal lathe go in the local market AFTER i buy this LMS 750 or PM-1030. :blue:

As it always has been, and always shall be. :grin:

A big plus for used, is with the budget you have you could be looking at 12x36 or 13x40 lathes, or spending a lot less for smaller lathes and having more money left over to buy tooling. This of course assumes you can evaluate a used lathe, so you don't buy a lemon, you pay for new because you get what you want and don't have to deal with some other persons mistakes.

No matter what patience will be your friend here. Take some time to really be sure what your needs are and if possible visit with someone in the hobby or trade.

Being in Canada I doubt it will make sense to purchase from the US, between the exchange rate, the tariffs we have and the duties you'll have to pay to get it into Canada you're probably going to spend more than you need to.

This looks like the same machine PM offers
(yes, PM has great customer service and is a forum sponsor) but at this level of machine you're not likely notice too much difference. Plus, they're both backordered anyway so you probably have to wait whether you want to or not.

I had good service from these guys north of the border

There's a phone number on this website

So you might want to give them a call and see if they have any tips for your search.

Trust me, taking your time to get this right is definitely worth it.

John

For an indicator holder Noga makes good ones, and they aren't super expensive. You can get them for $50-100 depending on which size and options you choose.
Good idea, I know of a place who sells that in Canada ( kbctools.ca )

You mentioned the space you have, but something else to think about is how many more moves are you going to have? It sounds like you are maybe a college student?
My workshop is in basement with plenty room to put decent 12x36, as moving one in I'll figure out how move it myself without getting killed or get some help with our family.

Being in Canada I doubt it will make sense to purchase from the US, between the exchange rate, the tariffs we have and the duties you'll have to pay to get it into Canada you're probably going to spend more than you need to.

This looks like the same machine PM offers
(yes, PM has great customer service and is a forum sponsor) but at this level of machine you're not likely notice too much difference. Plus, they're both backordered anyway so you probably have to wait whether you want to or not.
It could work for me even it costs bit less but has unknown features to let me know if it is fully imperial or metric, nonetheless if I must, I'll work around these limitations of this lathe. But there been rumours of poor after-sale service, I hope it does not apply to Ottawa location.
Source of my worries : https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/busy-bee-tools-canada.31507/post-529340

Lastly, someone did say he regretted getting 10x22 when he could had 10x30 as said in the forum.

This link is broken, here's the good link https://www.ebay.ca/str/jrwoodcaprecisiontools

Last edited:
Back