''My'' Other Shop

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I say my shop because I'm the only one who works in it now. I do contract tool & die work for a local metal stamping job shop, I also maintain their equipment. It's kind of sad really, I am THE tool & die maker there and get in about 10-20 hours a month just to help them out. They used to have 5 tool & die makers in the shop, the last one retired a couple years ago so they called me to see if I wanted to do it. They are down to 1 press operator and the shop manager, both a few years from retirement age. They still crank out a lot of stuff, but nothing like it used to be. I think they keep the doors open just for something to do.

Anyway here are some shop pictures

The surface grinders. Left to right, 10x30 automatic, 6x18 automatic, 6x12 manual

IMG_0566.jpg

The milling machines. 3 Ex-Cell-O 9x42, one of them actually has a DRO. That's a DoALL 30 inch vertical band saw in the far back.

IMG_0567.jpg

The monster CNC mill with Fanuc controller. About 120 inches of X travel, about 48 inches on the Y, and a couple of feet on the Z. This used to be a planer that was converted to a mill. I haven't had a need to use it yet, but it will do some serious work.

IMG_0568.jpg

An American Ultra-Precision, about 16x60 or so. A nice machine to run, I've done a couple of jobs on it.

IMG_0570.jpg

An old Kerny-Trecker horizontal, it gets used for one specific production job about once every 5 years or so. I did a major overhaul on the hydraulic drive on this one.

IMG_0571.jpg

A little job on the 10x30 B&S grinder. Taking off about 0.005 on that pass.

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg IMG_0567.jpg IMG_0568.jpg IMG_0570.jpg IMG_0571.jpg IMG_0575.jpg

Thanks for the post, Archie. Always nice to see other's layouts, machines, and hear about the possibilities.

Tim

Nice place to have to yourself. It's a shame to see are ability to produce are own goods going away. Mike

Great machines!! If I were younger,that 120" planer mill would be fantastic for re cutting old lathe beds!. And,the Pacemaker is a wonderful lathe to have,too!

Nice shop to have to yourself Jim.
What year do you think that Pacemaker is? I really just started using mine this past week and it is an absolute pleasure to run. It's quiet as a mouse while its taking .200" on a single pass.

Nice shop to have to yourself Jim.
What year do you think that Pacemaker is? I really just started using mine this past week and it is an absolute pleasure to run. It's quiet as a mouse while its taking .200" on a single pass.

I'm not really sure, late 40's to early 50's I would guess. I'll see if I can find a date on it when I go in next week.

That's a nice shop Jim. Hate to see places like that disappear but it seems it is a common occurrence these days. It is nice to be able to put a few hours in a month. Gets a person out of the house and helps to make a little extra for the home shop tooling fund I expect. That is my plan next year. Would love to have that American and one of those grinders....if only I had the space.

darrell

That's quite the shop! Not much to say but wow.

Back