My PM-712G Band Saw

xyz

Registered
Registered
Whoever it was that posted the video suggesting making a pallet platform for the heavy tools, I owe you a thanks for the idea. Below, there is a picture of m PM-712 Band Saw on its pallet platform. The dimensions are such that a pallet jack can be used to move it around the shop, or outside.

All my lighter tools are on platforms with casters. But I did not feel comfortable putting the heavy 712G on wheels (it comes with wheels, but some have reported that it walks when in use.)

1631327006141.jpeg

I made my first cuts with the 712G today. The first cut was to cut a 5 inch block off a 2 1/4 by 2 1/4 aluminum stock, so that I can practice milling aluminum. The second piece was an 18 inch long 1 by 3/4 mild steel piece, which I need to easily attach an electric winch to the gantry.

Both cuts were made with a 5 ft by 5 ft, 2 mil plastic sheet between the saw and the pallet it sits on. 99 % of the chips landed on the plastic, but a few aluminum chips were thrown further than the plastic catch. When I cleaned up, there were two oil spots beyond the plastic. Next time, I'll use a 10 by 10 plastic sheet to catch all the chips, and splash.

Both cuts were amazingly fast and true.

I am very happy with its performance.

I made my first cuts with the 712G today. The first cut was to cut a 5 inch block off a 2 1/4 by 2 1/4 aluminum stock, so that I can practice milling aluminum. The second piece was an 18 inch long 1 by 3/4 mild steel piece, which I need to easily attach an electric winch to the gantry.

Both cuts were made with a 5 ft by 5 ft, 2 mil plastic sheet between the saw and the pallet it sits on. 99 % of the chips landed on the plastic, but a few aluminum chips were thrown further than the plastic catch. When I cleaned up, there were two oil spots beyond the plastic. Next time, I'll use a 10 by 10 plastic sheet to catch all the chips, and splash.

Both cuts were amazingly fast and true.

I am very happy with its performance.
Just slather the wood with cutting oil and don't worry about it anymore....

John

Does it have a chip catching tray? If not you'll need to make one- on mine I used a plastic container made for storing shoes
-Mark

@xyz Since you have had the saw for a couple of months, what do you think of it?

I’m interested as well. Please sill the beans - pros and cons.

Back