My quick spanner wrench/strap wrench

nnam

Registered
Registered
I need to take the cross slide apart, and without the correct spanner wrench, either I have to make one quick. I looked up to make sure I don't break anything and found this thread:

I use strap and it still slides. But somehow, hit the stick with a hammer a few times, it loosen it up. I understand how the hammering action can help loosen bolts, but I still can't explain how the hammering here would help the friction of the cable.

Attachments

• 20200918_152724.jpg
    20200918_152724.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 20200918_152515.jpg
    20200918_152515.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
I use strap and it still slides. But somehow, hit the stick with a hammer a few times, it loosen it up. I understand how the hammering action can help loosen bolts, but I still can't explain how the hammering here would help the friction of the cable.

The shock from hitting it was apparently enough for the amount of grip the strap was able to provide.

This thread reminded me that I have an economical cheap HF strap wrench that had required replacement of the original strap. I too used a piece of nylon strap that has never provided much grip. Today I went out and found a piece of serpentine belt left over from one of the early replacement attempts on my Heavy 10. I cut it to width, made easier by the ribs/grooves, then glued and folded the end to prevent pull thru on the fixed end. Should provide plenty of grip and won't rot or break.

Back