My radius turner is giving me rough balls - please help.

Joe, you might try increasing the radius on the tool bit. 1/64 sounds a little sharp and will not cut as smoothly as a larger radius. JMO.
Pat

Joe,
Everything appears to be right. The problem must be in the turner. Is the rotation of the turner loose or tight? The next area would be the bit itself. Is it HSS or carbide? It appears that there is a good amount of overhang of the bit from the radius bow? You might try swinging a pass on a piece of scrap with less overhang to see if the finish improves.

Randy

I just looked at that pic, but don't really understand it. Maybe if I saw it in action it would make sense. Here is my setup:

I just built one of these same radius turners with the casting set. It is way too loose and leads to same issues as the original post. I just couldn't get it to hold the rigidity it needs.

I am going to build another setup like this on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwGLL7cMdHk

I just looked at that pic, but don't really understand it. Maybe if I saw it in action it would make sense. Here is my setup:

Joe

I don't want to discourage you but I build the little one and the bigger one. They now live in my scrap box.

I spent hrs trying to make them work better but I never found away, And I hope that you do.

Paul

Back