My scrap yard find (Warning! Tool gloat)

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
I went to the scrap yard earlier today for something specific but ran into a buddy there that needed some parts machined so I went back to my shop and did that. I refused his money so maybe this was Karma.

I go back to the scrap yard for some digging and find a bunch of complete punch press dies & had them move them out of my way so I could get to some real nice tool steel. I see a big block of steel that resembles the base of a vice, I roll it over and it is a complete vice made in USA stamped on the bottom. I know it looks like a better made vice than my Bridgeport vice but not until I'm showing it to the plant manager from where I'm laid off and he scrapes off the tag to reveal "Kurt"

I'll gloat some more when I get him cleaned up:biggrin:

DSC00406.JPG DSC00407.JPG

Charly,
I gotta go to your scrap yard. They wont let us in the local yard with scrap, you can go into the car area they have set up, but you cannot prospect in the big pile of misc stuff. Too bad, they could make a few extra bucks if they did. Probably safety and Insurance issues that keep em so tight...
Bob

Prepare for the hate mail! :biggrin: Primo find! Looks like it hasn't been taken good care of but I bet it cleans up real nice.

I need to find a scrap yard to hang out in... (Wife would say, "Go sit in the garage then!") :biggrin:

-Ron

I'll take that kind of scrap any day! Good find, hope it cleans up well. Make sure you show us the after picture!!!!!

David

Good job Charley, you've done a good deed for a friend & got blessed in return. This is a good example of GOD's law. This is a lesson some people never learn. Good for you & the vise. The vise will get a lot of good use. You've saved the vise from being shipped over to China,melted down & sent back on the boat as a metal fence post! Phil.

It constantly amazes me to see the sort of stuff that gets chucked away.
Even at my local tip, (where you can dump recyclables for free) and sometimes the operator on duty will let you poke around the steel piles there is always stuff that can be used, or is still even in working order sometimes.
I have picked up angle iron, concrete mesh, stainless gauze wire, tools, the list just goes on....

Cheers Phil

Feast your eyes guys, Got him "Kurt" all cleaned up and mounted to the Bridgeport, they seem to be bonding well:biggrin: It operates like a dream:drool:

DSC00408.JPG DSC00409.JPG

Back