My second project, lighting for my bead blasting cabinet

Gravydog

Registered
Registered
I have had the larger Harbor Freight blasting cabinet for some time and it has always been hard to see what you are doing very well. It originally came with a really dim, pathetic fluorescent tube that was pretty useless. A while back I installed an under-cabinet fixture with 4 bright halogen bulbs and that helped a lot but still not good enough when the dust is flying and the film on the inside of the window is getting abraded. Before I got my mill I was looking for a bright LED solution and I settled on a pair of 48" LED "tubes" meant to retrofit into fluorescent fixtures like in suspended ceilings. I wanted as much light as possible so I ordered a pair that was too long for my cabinet, hoping I could figure out a way to shorten them, and I did.

20191026_102206.jpg

When I took apart the tubes, I found by looking closely at the copper traces on the circuit board that the LEDs were set up as groups of ten connected in parallel and then each of the 12 groups were connected in series. I decided to cut the board between groups of ten and then solder 2 jumper wires across the gap. It worked fine and so I was able to have two longer tubes and two shorter ones to completely surround the window inside the cabinet. I put the project on the back burner for a time while I thought about how I might make corner blocks to tie it all together. I was thinking hardwood but that didn't seem very cool. Then I got the mill and now I had a way to make more professional corner blocks. I obtained a length of 1.5" square high-density polyethylene as a suitable material and got to work. First, I found out the stock they cut it from was slightly under 1.5" so I squared it up to 1.450" as seen here.

20191026_110158.jpg

Since the tubes are about .750" in diameter but have a flat back I figured I had to make the corners in two pieces to get a proper fit. Here I have drilled .500" holes with an end mill most of the way through the block for the wires to go through and then counter boring to .750" for the tubes to go into.

20191026_115008.jpg

After I had done this on two adjacent sides I cut the plastic into four 1.5" blocks. Next I was going to cut each block into two pieces with one part being .500" thick for the cap but first I wanted to drill the screw holes that would hold the caps on later and I wanted to drill them before sawing them off for perfect alignment of the holes. I numbered the tops and bottoms to maintain matching pairs. I had to break out a wood working bit to drill and countersink the screw holes!

20191026_125649.jpg

Now I sawed off the caps and lined them up in the vise to face the cut side off and mill out the .750" by .375" recesses where I would install rare-earth magnets. They are super-strong and jump to steel violently so I wanted to put them on the inside with some plastic between them and the cabinet for some control when mounting the assembly.

20191026_145329.jpg

Then I clamped the remaining blocks in the vise and milled them down to the point where the flat back of the tube was about flush with the top of the block when placed in what remained of the counterbores. Here are the finished blocks and caps.

20191026_151508.jpg

This shows how the tube ends fit into the blocks.

20191026_181815.jpg

I put a narrow bead of RTV sealant around the end of each tube to anchor them into the blocks when dry. Here is the finished assembly fitted into the cabinet. Success!

20191030_145357_HDR.jpg

I cleaned the glass and put a new piece of protective Mylar under it and now the visibility is awesome, even brighter than the photo would suggest. I'm very satisfied with the way it came out.

20191031_104418_HDR.jpg

Rob

Good job with quite a bit of ingenuity. You might consider encasing the wires in some plastic tubing.:)

Very slick. (...and great pictures).
I want one!
The factory lights in my cabinet are rubbish too.
-brino

EDIT: The other part of seeing while blasting is getting rid of all that dust in the cabinet.....it's like how your high-beams are worse in a heavy falling snow, the light just bounces off the particles. Do you run any dust collector or shop vac too? I have toyed with the idea of bringing the air thru a water bucket to capture the fine dust, but worry if I just walk away and forget it that I'll add a bunch of humidity to the cabinet and make the sand all packy. Thoughts?

Last edited:
The other part of seeing while blasting is getting rid of all that dust in the cabinet.....it's like how your high-beams are worse in a heavy falling snow, the light just bounce of the particles. Do you run any dust collector or shop vac too? I have toyed with the idea of bringing the air thru a water bucket to capture the fine dust, but worry if I just walk away and forget it that I'll add a bunch of humidity to the cabinet and make the sand all packy. Thoughts?

Yes, I run a shop vac with it. I actually connected the vacuum hose to the back behind the sheet metal baffle hoping it would stop some of the media from being sucked out, the inlet air comes in from the normal vacuum port on the left side. The vac hose goes to a plastic cyclone separator mounted to a 5 gallon bucket and then to the vac itself. It doesn't work as well as I'd hoped because the very fine dust that clogs the filter must be too lightweight to get trapped in the cyclone. Still, I think it helps. Evidence of that for me was when I tried recycling the glass beads that collected in the bucket, the amount of dust inside the cabinet then was unbelievable! I also mounted a combination switch and outlet so that the switch controls the lights and the vacuum together.

20191102_001713_HDR.jpg
20191102_001746.jpg
20191102_001800_HDR.jpg

If anyone wants to make a light setup like mine, I learned on this one as I went. I had to do some fancy wiring on the second tube to make both power wires come out at the left ends of the longer tubes. The simpler way would be to cut the light as I showed for the first tube with the shorter section at the opposite end from the power wires but for the second tube, cut the shorter section towards the power wires and when you assemble it you would have both power leads coming out of one corner block only. When you solder on the jumper wires you have to carefully scrape the paint off of the copper traces and try to work in from the edges as much as possible to keep from shorting to the aluminum track. I actually milled a short section of the rib in the track to prevent contact with the solder. I'm very happy with the lights I chose and can probably find out where I ordered them if anyone wants to know.

Rob

Yes, I run a shop vac with it. I actually connected the vacuum hose to the back behind the sheet metal baffle hoping it would stop some of the media from being sucked out, the inlet air comes in from the normal vacuum port on the left side. The vac hose goes to a plastic cyclone separator mounted to a 5 gallon bucket and then to the vac itself. It doesn't work as well as I'd hoped because the very fine dust that clogs the filter must be too lightweight to get trapped in the cyclone. Still, I think it helps. Evidence of that for me was when I tried recycling the glass beads that collected in the bucket, the amount of dust inside the cabinet then was unbelievable! I also mounted a combination switch and outlet so that the switch controls the lights and the vacuum together.

View attachment 305057
View attachment 305058
View attachment 305059

If anyone wants to make a light setup like mine, I learned on this one as I went. I had to do some fancy wiring on the second tube to make both power wires come out at the left ends of the longer tubes. The simpler way would be to cut the light as I showed for the first tube with the shorter section at the opposite end from the power wires but for the second tube, cut the shorter section towards the power wires and when you assemble it you would have both power leads coming out of one corner block only. When you solder on the jumper wires you have to carefully scrape the paint off of the copper traces and try to work in from the edges as much as possible to keep from shorting to the aluminum track. I actually milled a short section of the rib in the track to prevent contact with the solder. I'm very happy with the lights I chose and can probably find out where I ordered them if anyone wants to know.

Rob

That lighting update sure is slick, As many of those harbor freight and other copy types of blast cabinets that are out in use , I bet if you made a kit for your light system, it would sell. I know I would buy one ! Great idea and great job making it !

.....and I bet those corners could be 3D printed for pennies in material!
-brino

Don't get me started!

No, don't worry,....no.....no way.....heaven forbid. ;)

No one here would ever imply, advise, advocate, recommend, plug, goad, promote, praise, pressure, trumpet, encourage, pressure, spur, tout, beseech, or even remotely suggest that some else should buy a tool.

That's not what this group is about. :immersed::excitement:

-brino

Nice light setup.

You had to mention 3D printer.......... I had almost forgot that one was on my short want list........ Now back to trying to pick which one to learn on.......

Back