My Shaper - Hendey 15

bcall2043

Active User
Registered
I noticed that the Shaper area was kind of short on participation so I decided to add something. Nelson asked what is recommended. I don't know enough to comment on what other hobby machinist need so I decided to show you mine and why I picked it.

Mine is a 15" Hendey that has been converted from overhead shaft to motor drive. First reason I picked this one was the initial purchase cost was very low as compared to what a small "more in demand" Southbend, Atlas or Logan sells for. Second the tooling is square HSS lathe bits so tooling cost are "cheap" compared to some other shop tools. The shaper is not the fastest machine but can do some handy things at a low cost if time is not factored in. It is used mainly for flats, slots, splines, and keyways.

The shaper I have is a floor model but using the scale of the concrete blocks in the attached photo background you can see that it not that big for a 15" machine. I am also looking down when taking the photo. The photo also contains a chunk of cast iron about 6" long that I was squaring up. Just clamp the metal in the vise, set cut depth, turn machine on and do something else until the automatic cross feed does it job. Besides I like the sound of an about 100 year old machine cutting iron.

If you already have milling machines for flats, slots and external keyways, an arbor press with all the braoches for internal keys and splines then you do not need a shaper but they are still nice for the rare case where you don't have the right tooling.

Maybe you can show us yours and tell why you picked it and how you use it.

Benny
In middle Tennessee, USA

Hendey 15 Inch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
author=B34VD link=topic=3153.msg22624#msg22624 date=1313787133
Nice looking unit Benny. I've seen some old shapers that use the old Armstrong lantern type tool holders. Is that what you are refering too?

Hello B34VD,

Yes, It came with a Armstrong tool holder that uses the square tool bits that are relatively cheap and last a long time. Some where I have a round bar that came with it that holds the square tool bit for keyways. Just not sure where it is now.

Benny,
In middle Tennessee, USA

Last edited by a moderator:
Back