my shaper progress

GK1918

Active User
Registered
Progress has been slow in my attempt for a (hard for words) a dead center and an indexable chuck.
So I will use a 3 jaw which I never use that will go to a dead center. I have aquired the bearings,
a steel plate and so far the shaft I treaded for a SB chuck and part of a spline meshed to a mate to
spin or index the thing. I have the need to make some simple straight cut gears. here is so far.

index spline.JPG index shaft thread to chuck.jpg

I forgot to add, If in wonder, think of kind of like a small lathe mounted on a shaper I guess they call
it an extention table, I have never seen a real one, it should make life easier. My gear cutting is way
to involved as using a known gear vising it up to a blank and running the tool throught the gear to cut
the blank, so it would be so nice if the whole thing would spin on a center. Biggest problem is, I would
like to be able to make it swivel also, which is a clearance issue (shaper table travel) . Then I have to
bore the threaded end of the chuck shaft to except another dead center, as I type I find I should have
turned a short dead center on the chuck shaft then threaded it ?? Any further ideas guys. sam

Thanks that is exactly what I have in mind. That showed me that without seeing one, I am on the
right track. thanks again sam

Back