Resolved My Smileys have stopped?

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Given that nobody else has mentioned it, I came to think that the reason I can no longer insert smileys may have been some shortcoming in my own browser setup. Now I have tried it out with two FireFox derived Browsers, and the Chromium-based "Brave" browser. The other tools in the bar, like bold, and italic, and Insert Image, etc. all seem to work OK. The fact that this happens despite using totally different browsers makes my think it might not a problem at my end.

I have never been able to insert "laughing guy" when clicking on "Like", but I thought that was just about learning how. Clicking on "Smiley" insert always did work, until recently. If you folk are able to make it happen OK, it would be nice to know.

Hi @vtcnc
Yes - of course. My Smiley is exactly in the same place as yours. The problem is total non-responsiveness when I click on it!

Now I ask. There also was a time when the "Insert video" icon was just to the left of it.
When exactly did "Insert video" migrate into the three dots drop-down menu?
Then further, why is "laughing guy" absent from within that menu?

Regardless those difficulties, we can be clear that the mere fact yourself and others can get the toolbar to respond OK, means said difficulties are local to me, so it is OK to mark the thread as RESOLVED. I can get another browser, or even replace the entire OS.

Upvote 0
That's very weird...except I will say that without a doubt - Xenforo (forum software) doesn't seem to play well with the derivative browsers. I use latest version of Firefox on Windows 10 and have zero issues.

Xenforo has been recently updated on our host servers. So...changes for all of us. Most of them will be subtle. Some of them will be glaringly obvious like this one, but it is because we are updating PHP and forum software which requires some tweaks along the way and collateral damage. However, since it appears that others are not having the problem - I would chalk this one up to your derivative browsers and Xenforo not wanting to play in the emoji sandbox together.

Upvote 0
Same error as @graham-xrf, no smileys. Yeah, they are in the right place, but when you click them nothing happens. Had a laptop crash, so at the moment running a Raspberry Pi 4-4GB on SSD until I get a new laptop. Also running Chromium, as it is the base browser for the RPi. This is a pretty constrained system, so I don't have that many browser choices, although I can check around.

Version 86.0.4240.197 (Official Build) Built on Raspbian , running on Raspbian 10 (32-bit)

Upvote 0
@WobblyHand Way-Hey - we find someone else who has discovered a Raspberry Pi-4B can do it! I have one with an IceTower cooler, and a modest overclock with the system on SSD. The smileys used to work OK on that (older) browser build. My regular machine is an Intel Desktop with Linux Mint.

We are sometimes prone to server providers not adhering to universal PHP and other web and browser standards. It might test out OK on a Windows kit, and have to also be OK on browsers distributed for Android, Apple MacOS, Linux, BSD. The FireFox browsers have a number of variants, like WaterFox, and the Chromium browser has the "Brave" version. Pretty much all of them seem rigidly formed around standards.

If any of the HM site smiley functionality is delivered via a javascript containing code structures, or cross-site scripting, or other stuff disallowed by secure browsers, then that might provide an explanation. My browser(s) has been working for me for ages, delivering on forms, tax returns, purchasing machine parts even! It is not as if anything changed with the browsers. Clearly something suddenly changed, but it was not on my end.

Thanks for your reply. I had believed it was something confined to just me, so I had asked @vtcnc to consider it resolved.

[Edit: Now that I look at the toolbar, it has changed in other ways.
To the right of the "Text color" icon has appeared three little dots, which now hide Font family, Strikethrough, Underline, Inline code, and Inline spoiler. I get it that this may be helpful to phone users with limited horizontal room, and I don't actually mind that, BUT, I am thinking the Smileys situation might have come about at the same time this change was put into effect].

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Doesn't feel resolved yet to me yet. I do think that it's due to tools that don't fully comply with standards. If one is a Linux user, it's seen a lot. In a nutshell, it's caused by not regression testing to standards. Most software folks test to see if it works on windows first, mac second, Linux is usually done last if at all. The test order does make sense in terms of the population of users. But the first two populations don't always follow the standards.

But yeah, smileys don't work on RPI4 Chromium browser right now. I was able to sneak in a smiley, but that's only because I typed in the old fashioned text emoticon.

Upvote 0
Guys, I'm going to leave this opened but I'm not expecting it to be resolved anytime soon. but am investigating it on the developers pages.

Upvote 0
@vtcnc no problem. I was abruptly thrust into this problem when my laptop gave up the ghost this past week. Running off a RPI4 has been an eye opening experience. Not quite as slick as a more main stream "product". Thank goodness my important stuff was backed up! Pleased that I've been able to get back on to HM with only a short delay.

Upvote 0
[ Running off a RPI4 has been an eye opening experience. Not quite as slick as a more main stream "product".
I found that by having the system on SSD, and using a leftover micro-SD only to launch it, and then a modest safe overclock, it ends up feeling very nearly like any regular office PC - except everything software is free.

The most used OS on the planet is Linux based (Android), and Linux is the go-to choice for internet servers. Our Smileys issues are likely not anything to do with the OS in use, nor the browser.

Upvote 0
Back