My solution for chuck lifting, moving, storage

buffdan

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I installed a section of Unistrut with a wheel trolley, for removing, installing storing my heavy lathe chucks

I can easily remove/install a heavy chuck with this setup and roll it over to a cart which stores my chucks.
I can move the cart, or leave it where it is.

Prior to this I was using A Sky Hook hoist, which was cumbersome.

This works quite well. I have to redo the part which attaches to the chuck

Dan

Attachments

• 20200321_170643.jpg
    20200321_170643.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 20200321_170720.jpg
    20200321_170720.jpg
    766.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 20200321_170744.jpg
    20200321_170744.jpg
    730.4 KB · Views: 142
I did pretty much the same thing, but arranged the rail longways over the lathe and store the chucks either on the rear end ways of the lathe or on the floor on a rack just past the headstock end of the lathe, I used a HF electric cable hoist, and all the chucks are drilled and tapped for eye bolts; this is for a 19" swing lathe, so some of the chucks are quite heavy. I have the same arrangement over my B&S mill to handle the dividing head, etc. The track I used was from a sliding barn door, also the wheeled brackets came from the door.

I installed a section of Unistrut with a wheel trolley, for removing, installing storing my heavy lathe chucks

I can easily remove/install a heavy chuck with this setup and roll it over to a cart which stores my chucks.
I can move the cart, or leave it where it is.

Prior to this I was using A Sky Hook hoist, which was cumbersome.

This works quite well. I have to redo the part which attaches to the chuck

Dan
I like your 'C' hook, when I worked in a steel mill that's how we handled the mill rolls. I use a little Giant ladder and a HF chain fall to mount my rotary table on the mill.

I made a C hook to handle my milling machine dividing head; instead of pipe, I used solid 1" stock through the div., then used flat bar bent into a L shape with the round bar welded through a hole in one end, and welded a eye bolt to the other end to accept the hoist hook at a point where the div. head is balanced level, the div. head chuck clamps down on the round bar to keep things from rotating.

I use Unistrut in my hobby room to hang a television. It slides and pivots as needed for inside or outside viewing.

Attachments

• 20190517_205455.jpg
    20190517_205455.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
  • 20190224_183653.jpg
    20190224_183653.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 100
I love it!
I might be tempted into a version that hangs Unistruts along the length of two joists, to keep the load near the joists support points, and fit a final cross Unistrut as a gantry crane that can reach other places.

Yes - I know - it's a way more expensive thing because you need four roller sets instead of one, and a triangulated brace to keep them square to the beam so it tracks OK. Hmm.. like most of my instant ideas, they don't seem so great when I have thought them through.

I can't contain my curiosity. Does the frame structure ultimately have wheels, or wings?

Thanks for sharing, I like the idea. I may change my plan on how to handle the chucks. I picked up a used Sky Hook for the task. The plan was to build a counter weighted steel cart on rollers, but then I have another unit occupying real estate, the garage is plenty full as it is.

I love it!
I might be tempted into a version that hangs Unistruts along the length of two joists, to keep the load near the joists support points, and fit a final cross Unistrut as a gantry crane that can reach other places.

Yes - I know - it's a way more expensive thing because you need four roller sets instead of one, and a triangulated brace to keep them square to the beam so it tracks OK. Hmm.. like most of my instant ideas, they don't seem so great when I have thought them through.

I can't contain my curiosity. Does the frame structure ultimately have wheels, or wings?
Not sure what you mean by frame structure?
These are the items I bought from Amazon.. The unistrut was local. I used 1 hanger on either end. I suppose I could have used one in the middle, but the setup I have is fine with the 2 hangers.
unistrut.jpg

Last edited:

I used National hardware for some very heavy custom sliding shop doors. This hardware was the best price, rolls very well, and holds 600 pounds per “trolley”, which would cover about anything we’d put in our lathes, I would think.

Thank you much for this. If I had thought about it, i wouldn’t have sold my 12” rotary table!!

Great idea!!!!

Back