My son died of a heroin overdose.

Erik,

Still no words I can find are enough.......

As parents we try to protect them at any age. We sometimes also try to blame ourselves for any of their mistakes.
I saw that with my parents and I have noticed it with me and my kids, too.

It sounds like your ex felt some guilt in all this. It is NOT her fault.
Addiction is a disease. One that can wreck lives just like any other.

You are very astute in your grief. I don't know how you're able.
In your place I would be a terrible mess.

You have all my sympathy and support.
-brino

Erik,
A parents worse nightmare. I am so sorry for your loss.
Our son was using opiates for ten years, he hit a brick wall when he tried to overdose.
He was one of the lucky ones and made a full recovery.
Please know as a parent, it's not your fault. We raise our children as best as we can then send them out into this cruel and unfair world.
My heart bleeds man.
You have the support of this wonderful group of friends.

I feel your pain Erik.
The loss combined with the overwhelming feeling of not having been enough to make the difference.
Sending you and your family strength for the healing to begin.
David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erik,
This puts everything into perspective. I can only imagine what you and your family are going through.

Speaking for myself, this event has shattered me so there is an opportunity to put the pieces that remain back together differently.
The wisdom in this statement is overwhelming.

Thank you for trusting this group with the pain and anguish you feel. Know that there are folks here that care about you, and will do what we can to help you.
Evan

Erik,

I'm only just now seeing this thread. Sorry to be late in responding. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. I've never lost a child, so I dare not tell you, "I know how you feel." But I do know this: After the trauma and grief, mercifully there is healing. Be strong, friend. Condolences and prayers for you and your family. From all of us.

Beshalom (with peace),
Terry

I can't put into words the appropriate thing to say... I've seen the grips of addiction with someone very close to me. It's impossible to understand unless you're walking in those shoes. Hopefully he has found piece.
Best wishes.
Sean

I have two kids. Both have done time for their addiction to heroin. Both are building a wall against it, and have been clean for a time.
The horrible outcome you have endured hangs over the head of every parent not yet so affected, and will forever, or so it seems.

May you find peace in the knowledge that the ultimate responsibility for all this lies with him, and no one else. Blame and obligations can be spread far and wide, but the ultimate choice is completely personal, private and individual.

Very sorry for your loss Erik. I hope to never experience this with our boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the kind words and support. My wife has been really helpful in my grieving process.

I signed on for Saturday shifts at work so now I will be really busy.

Back