My sons engine issue ...

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My boy and I built this car for him 16 yrs ago. Last year while driving it it started making bad noises, and by the time he found a place to get off the road it had locked up solid. He was in the process of moving into a new home and had no place to put it, so I went down with the trailer and hauled it home. Didn't have anytime to work on it, and while I don't mind helping out, I work on the "you broke it, you fix it" school of thought. it has sat out side, waiting for him to find time to work on it. So he came up for five days with his girlfriend, and we got it rolled into the shop and on the lift. Pulled the trans and drive shaft, all the accessories, radiator, wiring, etc.. Got it on an engine stand, and pulled the pan plug and got about a gallon of antifreeze, and then oil. Not a great sign. Pulled the spark plugs to check for any signs of contact, and got coolant out of #4 cyl. but all the plugs looked good. Pulled the intake and cyl heads, and #4 hole was full of coolant, but no damage to the piston tops, valve train, or combustion chambers, and now the engine would turn over. Spun it 180 on the stand and removed the pan and windage tray, and found a bent rod on #4. Hydro-locking will do that. Pulled that rod and piston, piston and rings look fine, rod bearings and crank throw looked good, . Was unable to find any obvious cause for the coolant leak, #4 cyl still has nice crosshatch, no sign of cracked cyl, and no obvious sign of head gasket failure. Could have easily been much worse, so all's well, that ends well I guess. The Galaxie has 70k miles of good times on it, including several 3k+ mile road trips, with us sharing the driving. We are going back to Denver with the kids Friday to spend a few days with our granddaughter, and then off to the beach for the winter, so the car will have to sit until I get back in the spring. I have a fresh 434ci FE short block that we will install When I get back, and he has a few free days. The block out of his car is an original 428 CJ that I bought for his project, so I will be pressure testing it, and if it tests good, which I believe it will, it will get a 4.25" stroker assembly, and go into one of my projects at some point. Was fun working together again with my son after so many yrs. Wish he was a little closer, and we could do it more often. Cheers, Mike

IMG_20211121_132413627.jpgIMG_20211121_132446226.jpgIMG_20211121_132500628.jpgIMG_20211121_160817295.jpgIMG_20211121_172735331.jpgIMG_20211121_191643006.jpgIMG_20211122_112133457 (1).jpg
IMG_20211122_120056347.jpg
Nice to have a 7 body trunk to store all the parts.
IMG_20211122_120323853_BURST001.jpgIMG_20211122_120352510.jpg.

Last edited:
All things considered, I'd say you lucked out. That car, and especially the engine is a beaut!!!!!! I'm glad your son made it there and you get time to spend turning wrenches with him. I love working on our cars with my boys too.

So the leak is still a mystery? How can you leave us hanging? Got to wait till next year? Arrrrrrgh….!

intake manifold?

Yup that rod is BENT!

Mike It's great to see you putting that shop to great use.
Nothing better than a family project; even if delayed and interrupted.

Your son will never forget it either and I'm sure will think of you when driving that car.

-brino

Great car to build up!
I’m happy you had some quality time with 2 loves- the son and a car!

I’m pretty sure that the rod could get another 75,000 miles!!!!

Beautiful car. I kept wanting to put fender on covers while pulling the engine.
Nothing better than Father and Son time working on a common interest!!!!!

We’re the valves clean on number 4? Intake gasket look ok? Worked on a lot of FE’s early 75 to 80ish at a Ford dealer truck shop. Neat trick back then was to take crank out of a 391 HD (forged) cut snout down to 390 specs. Customer brought his own used motor in to install in his plumbing truck F 250. Turned out to be a 428 super cobra jet engine. Took every tech around the block. Would throw the cleats off the 16.5 split rim mud grip tires.

Intake is my best guess also. Had a little coolant in two other cylinders, so intake makes the most sense right now. Will still pressure test the block and heads.

So the leak is still a mystery? How can you leave us hanging? Got to wait till next year? Arrrrrrgh….!

intake manifold?

How much is block bored? Can’t remember the bore over limit. .060 I think because of core shift during metal pore. If someone was going all out on a FE they would have a sonic test checking for core shift. Probably not a issue since y’all have used for 16 years. Just FYI.

Back