My sons engine issue ...

Good times! Takes a real intake to carry the weight of an engine.

Can't believe your headed to the beach already seems like the little league baseball players just headed back to Denver a couple weeks ago......

Yes, was aware of 391 crank mod, but with the advent of stroker assembly's from Scat and Eagle it's easier and cheaper to go that route. Back in the day, welding up rod journals, and offset grinding for increased stroke was fairly common. The 427's got all the glory but a well prepped 390/428 could easily hold it's own on the street/track. Like any engine they just need to breath.This car is a blast to drive, will cruise all day at 90mph in 5th, at 2100rpm, and drop it down into 4th to pass, and it flat gets up and moves. We did quite a bit of work on the suspension, a six point cage welded into the frame really stiffened things up, big sway bars front/rear, lowered, modified T-bird discs upfront, 16" wheels/tires. Sits flat through the corners, and for a big car it handles the twisty's really well. Brings a smile to my face every time I get to drive it. Mike

We’re the valves clean on number 4? Intake gasket look ok? Worked on a lot of FE’s early 75 to 80ish at a Ford dealer truck shop. Neat trick back then was to take crank out of a 391 HD (forged) cut snout down to 390 specs. Customer brought his own used motor in to install in his plumbing truck F 250. Turned out to be a 428 super cobra jet engine. Took every tech around the block. Would throw the cleats off the 16.5 split rim mud grip tires.

A pic of the engine just before it originally went in, and a few of the car shortly after it was completed. God, it looks like I've aged a bit since then. Looks like the car has held up better than I have.

2006_0916Culabritta0101.JPG
0810190009.JPG0810190011.JPG0810190012.JPG0810190013.JPG

Beautiful car... I love the Galaxies...

I've owned 6 or 7 '64 Galaxies, all with the 390.... none if mine were that nice, though.

-Bear

Y’all built a very nice car. Quick story. Test drove a 67 Shelby GT 500 with a 427. Not 428.two 4V. I was into street racing.loved it. I had enough sense to not buy the car after driving it. It was brutal. Would have killed my self. Wish I would have bought it and stored it.

Very nice looking Galaxie. You guys do good work! :clapping:

Thats a beauty!
Love that car.
Looks like you and your son have the fix well underway.

Cheers
Martin

This one is .030 over. the FE's are a thin wall casting, and .040 would be the max I would go for a performance build. A sonic check for me is a prerequisite for anything your going to be running hard. There are a lot of them out there running at .060 over, but sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you. These bores look great, so just a few strokes with a ball hone should do it. Mike

How much is block bored? Can’t remember the bore over limit. .060 I think because of core shift during metal pore. If someone was going all out on a FE they would have a sonic test checking for core shift. Probably not a issue since y’all have used for 16 years. Just FYI.

Nice car! I'm guessing a tiny crack in one of the heads will show up when you test them
Happened to me once on a 4-banger
-M

We had the same thing happen in one of our SBC race motors, unfortunatly it was turning about 7000 RPM, weird to see anti freeze coming out of a hole in the pan. I did manage to save the cam however.

Will let you know in the next episode of Ford Garage CSI. Stay tuned, coming this spring. Mike

Quote:
Nice car! I'm guessing a tiny crack in one of the heads will show up when you test them
Happened to me once on a 4-banger
-M

Back