My Sterling drill grinder

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
The company that I bought my drill grinder from( a reseller), said it was a 110v machine. I just got it the other day, and come to find out it has a NEMA 6-30 plug which would indicate 220v, it is my assumption that I can wire it to a 6-50 plug like I have for my 220v vfd mill, and lathe?
1655101749781.png

Yes Mike. What I do in those situations is to make a short "Adaptor Cord", rather than put the "wrong" plug on the machine. In your case a NEMA 6-50P on one end and a NEMA 6-30R on the other end.
Purists might mention the potential lack of appropriate fusing. I get it.
If your machine has thermal overload protection or a fuse/disconnect box attached, you're golden.

I hope you're healing well

Last edited:
Thank you, the foot is ugly looking(6 holes in my leg), but x-rays show the bones fusing. My switch box/disconnect is 30 amp fused.

You can make your own adaptor or purchase a readymade one from Home Depot or another big box store. Here's one available at Home Depot.

I purchased an adaptor for my new to me cold saw. It adapts from a 220-volt 50-amp circuit to a 220-volt 20 amp plug. It also has a built in 20 amp circuit breaker. Here's the one I purchased:

I didn't do a thorough search, but they may have the 50/30 amp adaptor with the circuit breaker as well. I was a bit surprised to find Home Depot was selling them cheaper than on the manufacturer's website. Since it was over $50.00 it qualified for free shipping

Why not switch out the plug. All 220v plugs be the same forget the jumpers. Plug cost 10 bucks, above stated 50 for a jumper simple math to me.

Why not switch out the plug. All 220v plugs be the same forget the jumpers. Plug cost 10 bucks, above stated 50 for a jumper simple math to me.

I don't think it's quite as simple as you make it sound. If the plug is correct the machine should be on a circuit that would allow a maximum current draw of 30 amps before it trips the breaker. That 30-amp shut off point should be high enough that the machine can draw the power needed to start, but not so high it could draw enough current to overheat to the point it could start a fire. If I understand it correctly the maximum continuous load a circuit should carry is 80% of the breakers rating. The load may only spike to the breaker's capacity for brief periods.

In this case a 30-amp breaker would allow a continuous load of 24 amps without tripping. With a 50-amp breaker the circuit could continually draw 40 amps without harming the wiring or shutting down the circuit. The wiring and the motor in the machine would be overloaded by 10 amps without the breaker sensing a problem. I suspect 30-amp motor drawing as much as 50 amps would long be toast and probably on fire before the breaker tripped.

Thank you, the foot is ugly looking(6 holes in my leg), but x-rays show the bones fusing. My switch box/disconnect is 30 amp fused.
I also hope you are healing well,but may I ask what happened to your foot to begin with?

I get what your saying but he already has a 50a outlet. The machine itself should have some sort of protection not to rely on a plug or the panel breaker. Now if he was going the other way overloading the circuit then yes not a wise move.
I only have two pcs that require a 50a circuit a plasma and welders. Other than that most 220 equipment I run into pulls max 15amps Or less sub 10a usually. Same plugs are sure more convenient.

I have flat feet from my dad, and it was getting too painful to walk, so the Doc rebuilt it, and screwed it back together.

I called sterling, and gave them my serial number, and found out it is 220v 3ph, so I will be making a new cord for it, and it will be powered by my RPC. The real electrician will have to come over for this.

Last edited:
I have flat feet from my dad, and it was getting too painful to walk, so the Doc rebuilt it, and screwed it back together.

I called sterling, and gave them my serial number, and found out it is 220v 3ph, so I will be making a new cord for it, and it will be powered by my RPC.

WOW! That was a good call. I guess the motor nameplate isn't visible?

Is there a 3 phase contactor/starter on the machine?

Back