My take on a BP cannon

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
I’ve had a cannon itch for awhile now and finally got around to building it. One nice thing is all the material was already had and was nice to use for something.
The base is 1 1/2 maple I had left over from some mantle projects. The base is 6x12 and the sides are 4 inches tall. I did a burn finish on it then acouple coats of linseed oil. Wheels are 3” cast iron that I had laying around. I painted a flat black then machined the axle bores and putter lips.
The barrel started out as 2.5” hex bar it is 12” long. The bore is 1.700 and that size to be able to shoot golf balls if so. Bore is 9” long with a powder charge area 1” in diameter a 1.5” long. I tried duplicating the curve on the end of the barrel similar to a pistol barrel. Then the breach end I used my ball turning attachment and went at it to get the desired shape I wanted. The ball on the end was a bearing that I dowel into the rear to attach to cannon. Dowel was a press fit to the barrel and I heat shrunk it onto the ball. The trunnions were .500 dowels that are counterbore in the hex then tig welded around.
Next the elevating screw which aims the cannon either horizontal or 45* plus. For loading the barrel can be flipped vertical without adjusting. The knurled sleeve is a slip fit to the base part so flippin the barrel vertical is easy.
All the hardware is stainless and my lame attempt at trying to blue them with just heat. The barrel and trunnion caps were blues using birch wood perma blue. The lifting ring will be used to anchor the cannon to the ground. A nice touch is it has Chicago embossed on it which is where I’m from. Enough of the typin here’s some pics71556726818__0572AF06-2F23-4170-B957-A6212F019CCD.jpeg71666435607__6B99D31F-ADBC-453E-B6D3-D8C3CB077F34.jpeg71666442531__A1896FB4-4F0C-47E9-B0E4-17AD2CA74EE0.jpegIMG_4229.jpeg
So I know the big question is “have you shot it”? The answer is NO. After building this or while building it I decided I am giving this cannon to my best friend of 25yrs which is getting married this weekend. He is having an outdoor wedding on his property which if the stars align and the bride is ok with it we are gonna rattle the boards on the barn. I can’t wait to try It!! I have been consumed for the last month on this and black powder anxious to see results. Thanks for lookin

Not having any experience with small home-made cannons like this, if it was up to me I'd first do a test firing in a safe location juuuust to make sure it's OK to fire. It would really suck to have something go seriously wrong at the wedding.

In cases like this I always recall something I used to say to junior engineers: don't underestimate the destructive power of an unvetted assumption.

Ordinarily, (olden times) new or unknown provenance black powder guns were proof tested with roughly twice the expected charge. They were tied down and some sort of wall or barrier (earthen bank) was put up to prevent issues should the gun/cannon blow up. Personally, I'd test your cannon in a similar manner to ensure you don't inadvertently cause carnage at your buddy's event.

Not having any experience with small home-made cannons like this, if it was up to me I'd first do a test firing in a safe location juuuust to make sure it's OK to fire. It would really suck to have something go seriously wrong at the wedding.

In cases like this I always recall something I used to say to junior engineers: don't underestimate the destructive power of an unvetted assumption.
I have reservations about the wall thickness and how stainless work hardens.

Back