My Wife Said She'd Like Some Chips

In the States It's called Canola Oil. I think the other name had some undesirable connotations so the marketing boys got together.....

I remember driving by large fields of rape when it was in bloom. This was around Lewiston, Idaho in early summer. Huge expanses of bright yellow-orange flowers. Eye-popping, to put it mildly :).

RAPE seed oil???? would you please speak english...
@woodchucker, you might be surprised to know that "Canola" if a very recent renaming. It has been rape seed for at least 400 years. Some Canadian agronomists came up with the term in the 60s. It is a contraction of Canadian, Low and Acid -referring to the particularly low acid hybrid of two rapeseed cultivars. [says a Canadian]

So, yeah, @graham-xrf is correct in his use of English as she is goodly spoke. ;)

Last edited:
I found lots of options for you and your wife: all on Amazon, Kroger's, Walmart, Meijer's. . . Just think, no smell of high-Sulphur cutting oil, no GI issues from sharp "chips", and they taste good!

Bruce

1656694365859.png
1656694387461.png
1656694455935.png
1656694483325.png
1656694502974.png
1656694522333.png

In the States It's called Canola Oil. I think the other name had some undesirable connotations so the marketing boys got together.....

I remember driving by large fields of rape when it was in bloom. This was around Lewiston, Idaho in early summer. Huge expanses of bright yellow-orange flowers. Eye-popping, to put it mildly :).
At this time of year, we have the fields of bright yellow, and it makes life hell for those sensitive to the pollen level. Also, in relation to my other guilty pleasure, I have been warned never to attempt to land out in a rapeseed crop field, even if it has already been harvested! Apparently the stalks can wreck the aircraft. Fortunately, so far, I have managed to only use proper airfields.

I have been known, in a pinch, to use the rape seed cooking oil as drill press cutting fluid. It actually seems to work (sort of), but I suppose any oil is better than nothing.

@woodchucker, you might be surprised to know that "Canola" if a very recent renaming. It has been rape seed for at least 400 years. Some Canadian agronomists came up with the term in the 60s. It is a contraction of Canadian, Low and Acid -referring to the particularly low acid hybrid of two rapeseed cultivars. [says a Canadian]

So, yeah, @graham-xrf is correct in his use of English as she is goodly spoke. ;)
I have to relate a story...
My brother used to cut hair in a small town in farming county of Alberta.
Had this lovely lady Irene as a client, her husband George would drive her to the appointment and sit patiently as my brother cut Irene's hair.
One appointment Irene was relating a problem they were having getting their rapeseed to germinate and not getting help from the seed company on it.
A few months go by and Irene is back on a Friday for a cut but this time George is not there.
So my brother, the consummate jokester, asks Irene "How did George make out in the rape case?"
Being a Friday, the shop was busy but silence ensued as Irene replied matter-of-fact, "He's actually in court about it today".
The look on my brother's face was absolutely priceless.

Very few times have I ever seen my brother taken by surprise but that was one of the best.

Rapeseed oil was developed in WW II as an industrial lubricant. Now we fry food in it. Why not use 10w40? My wife gets violently ill if she eats food containing or cooked in canola. We can hardly eat out at restaurants anymore because of it. We ate at a restaurant today that we have eaten at several times before. Apparently they changed cooking oil. She was sick before we got up to pay out. I can't believe they advertise that stuff as a 'healthy alternative' to other cooking oils.

Rapeseed oil was developed in WW II as an industrial lubricant. Now we fry food in it. Why not use 10w40? My wife gets violently ill if she eats food containing or cooked in canola. We can hardly eat out at restaurants anymore because of it. We ate at a restaurant today that we have eaten at several times before. Apparently they changed cooking oil. She was sick before we got up to pay out. I can't believe they advertise that stuff as a 'healthy alternative' to other cooking oils.

I knew there was something good about that cooking oil. The drilled holes came out pretty good. :)
[ref: @vocatexas re: industrial lubricant ]

Back