Myford Lathe M Series

Well I got the lathe home but found a potential problem. The end of the lead screw is bent.20141217_205714.jpg

It turns by hand but I can feel a very slight bind. The lead screw has a slight forward/backward play to it. If it is pressed firmly back the lead screw binds and cannot turn by hand.

I'll try to make a video and post up in a little bit. In the meantime if anybody has suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

20141217_205714.jpg

20141217_205714.jpg

UPDATE: I got the lathe cleaned up and have made a few things with it.

It has been a serious learning curve, but really fun! I would like to add that if you are new and need something else to read beyond, "How to run a lathe" then go pickup "The Amateur's Lathe" by Lawrence H. Sparey. My copy is dated 1948. It is packed with a ton of info. and even has very detailed drawings to make a bunch of useful tools for a metal lathe.

Anyway, if you're interested check out my first "major" project here:

Nice work - Good to see you got the lathe tidied up nicely and you are making use of it. Horrible to think such a fine machine was originally going to go to the scrap yard.

Nice first fun project, and you can be sure it will never get annoyingly magnetised like a steel one! :grin:
You need to address the flexing issues, but I've never got the hang of perfect knurling either, it's a black art to me...

Great project. When cutting aluminium, I use a wood bandsaw also, but also use a wood cutting blade at full speed. Aluminium is not particularly hard and is probably far less abrasive than most of the woods you cut. In fact, the oak you cut would be tougher on the blade.

Paul.

Just thought I would share my second project; a Collet Chuck.
I had never turned internal or external threads and had never bored a taper until this project.
It was a real challenge as a beginner, but a TON of fun. Made some mistakes, but I'm continuing to learn.

Back