Mystery accessory

jwmay

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This isn't anything super special, but I figured someone in this forum might direct me to some info. I bought this as part of a plot to build a way to fix up my lathe tooling and other tooling without a surface grinder. But I just got curious what it used to be. Any ideas?

Attachments

• FAC2F329-F591-493C-A1FD-880B6D6F99E4.jpeg
    FAC2F329-F591-493C-A1FD-880B6D6F99E4.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 163
I'd guess that it might be a fixture for sharpening radial threading chasers, but, that is just a guess, is there a hole in the base for bolting down? If not, it would likely be for use on a surface grinder.

Dunno but it’s a lot like my universal vise.

It does have a hole for bolting it down. It also has a milled slot in the base. The slot you can see on top is a dovetail slot. The one on the right is the same. The piece on the left is sitting on a table of sorts that has angular graduations from 0-25 if I remember right, which appear to line up with the angle in the notch. Seems like it won't be terribly difficult to put the whole works on a sliding surface and grind things semi precisely. I still have to devise or make a tool holder to attach to it.

Looks like something I sold to C bag awhile back . Was that you bag ? Anyways , I think John is correct on the chaser grinding fixture . Could also be angle angle dresser for a SG if you have a diamond holder with a dovetail slide .

Yup that was me, thanks again Dave. I used it to make a special grind. One of the things I wasnt prepared for was how huge it is. Still working on incorporating it into a grinding setup. Too many projects, so little time.

This one isn't very substantial at all. In fact, I remarked to my wife when I opened the package that the hands I saw in the advertisement must have been much smaller than I had guessed. Ha! I saw TOT's universal vise video last night, and this is easily 1/3 that size. I reckon it'll do what I want it to. Now to ruminate on where I might have left my motivation. I bet it's still out in the shop. Haven't seen it in weeks!

This one isn't very substantial at all. In fact, I remarked to my wife when I opened the package that the hands I saw in the advertisement must have been much smaller than I had guessed. Ha! I saw TOT's universal vise video last night, and this is easily 1/3 that size. I reckon it'll do what I want it to. Now to ruminate on where I might have left my motivation. I bet it's still out in the shop. Haven't seen it in weeks!
motivation or inspiration? I keep getting that lesson over and over without inspiration I'm just going to waste my time. Inspiration always works for me. My big problem is I often want something fixed RIGHT NOW. I have a couple of things I've been trying to solve and need them for production and don't have the whole picture. So keep producing blanks, near misses.

I'll be honest I thought the universal vise would be about 1/2 as big. I'd never seen one in person and I was thinking in terms of my machines. Which I don't have a SG, only a carbide grinder and a U2 d bit grinder. I know I can adapt to them but the size difference makes for more rumination and need of inspiration. And those thunderclap inspirations don't ever show up when I want them too. They seem to have their own schedule.

It may be analysis paralysis. I have a big list of things I want to do. But my new job is a 12 hour 5 nights per week thing. Anyways a bit of machining every day is much preferable to a day long slog at the handwheels. I only see my wife on the weekends. Which means the machines are really just idle. I have to find a different job I guess.

It may be analysis paralysis. I have a big list of things I want to do. But my new job is a 12 hour 5 nights per week thing. Anyways a bit of machining every day is much preferable to a day long slog at the handwheels. I only see my wife on the weekends. Which means the machines are really just idle. I have to find a different job I guess.
With that kind of schedule its more like exhaustion. When I worked that kind of 60+hr schedule I turned into a zombie. And that’s not working deadly nightshift stuff. I can’t work night shift, period. Tried it once and I got so sick. I wish you all the luck. It’s tough out there.

Back