Mystery Garage Find

jschmidling

Registered
Registered
My wife came back with this item from a garage sale knowing it would bring me joy.

It looks exactly like a 1" elbow pipe fitting but it is solid bronze, no bore or threads.

My first reaction was some strange sort of two headed hammer or anvil but that doesn't make much sense.

Any ideas?

js

Attachments

• BRONZE7.JPG
    BRONZE7.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 68
How about a blank for a pipe fitting? True, it would be better to cast in the rough bores but that would lead to a more complicated mold and in a foundry, the turnings would just go back in the crucible.

That is a blank for a "sweat" type of fitting, it appears to be a brass/bronze forging that has not yet been machined; good paperweight, I suppose.

The shop I once worked in had a huge, ugly old beast of a machining center in the back that did nothing but thread and bore hardware store grade pipe fittings. Blanks came from the foundry looking like that (or hollowed for bigger stuff, 1" NPT or more), in tees or ells or street ells. That machine must have been a money maker, because it ran 3 shifts in a shop full of aerospace jobs and other fancy stuff.

I'd drill and tap one side 3/4-16 about 7/8 deep and make a handle to convert it into a hammer.

Back