Mystery Horizontal Mini Milling Machine (Northern Illinois Machinists LMG-3) made in USA?

I have a few things I would like to point out and if you have anything that you see is incorrect or somethings missing please let me know.

The belt shield is held on by 2 incorrect temporary screws. They are not threaded into the hole so I did not strip out any holes before anyone asks :) They are just there to give the effect of the shield in place.

The Y-axis handwheel is missing. The handwheel that is on the machine is actually for the cabinet that the machine would have stood on. I did a quick search on Ebay and found an original Burke #4 handwheel for $46. Not a bad price but not sure if its worth getting an original.

Accordi g to the research I have done, the base or tray to the machine is supposed to be installed this way. I honestly thought it would have gone the other way but looking at pictures on the web it appears that it is supposed to function as a tray, not a base or stand.

1 of the 2 motor mounts is broken and I do not have the missing piece.

The arm that supports the spindle (not sure exactly what its called) is obviously not inserted all the way. I have to clean it up first. I did not want to force it in there and then have to fight to get it back out.

With the motor installed the machine wants to topple over! Of course it needs to be bolted down but I wasnt about to bolt it to my concrete floor haha. I am really surprised at the weight of the motor. I think it weighs just as much, if not more than the column or body or the machine. The motor has its own gear box and I believe there are 3 speeds?

With all of that said, I don’t know what I am going to do with this machine.
Keep it
or
Sell it as is
or
Clean it up, repaint it and repair
or
Part it out

What are your thoughts. What should I do with it? I don’t know that I have the time to restore it or convert it to a surface grinder. What’s it worth? I have a feeling that it’s only worth as much as someone who is interested in it is willing to pay for it, and that aint a lot.

On another note, I need to post this in the Burke specific section. I realize now that no one interested in seeing Burkes will see this. I will also post pictures of the LMG. It was easier to get the Burke together down in my shop for photos because the LMG needs to go together but it needs to be transported into my basement first. I dont have the energy anymore to assemble things twice!

Here is a picture of the slotting saws and other type saws that he gave me. Some are just dirty but almost all of them are still very sharp or brand new. There are a couple of saws that I have never seen before like the 6 toothed saw. Its pretty cool, not sure what I would use it for tho ?

C7D92CD3-505B-4A9F-BB2C-B6EC77EAF043.jpeg

That 6 tooth saw kinda looks like it came from a biscuit jointer. Notice that it doesn't have a keyway.

I didnt know what a bisquit joiner was until I googled it. The 6 tooth blade actually has about a 60 degree point and then the tip is flat. Not sure if it could still be a bisquit joiner or not. It has 2A stamped into it. Not sure if it has any other text on the other side. I took this photo about a week ago and would have to go look at the other side.
The saw to the left of it has 60 degree points and they are sharp as hell! Not sure what this would be used for either. Maybe a bisquit joiner as well.
F2548756-EC27-459B-BFE9-018F449CDDB0.jpeg

That 6 tooth saw kinda looks like it came from a biscuit jointer. Notice that it doesn't have a keyway.

Nice. if it was mine I'd hoard it with a view to doing a rebuild/cleanup/repaint job on it 'one day' when I had the time...

On your question above re the z-axis rack and pinion feed, I can think of two possibilities. The first is that it may be an older model. I believe quite a lot of older horizontal mills were set up that way. The second is that it may have been meant for production work making repeats of the same part. Once it's set up, you can machine one part after another pretty quickly with a lever feed. My No.0 has the same arrangement.

You beat me to it :) My jointer has an almost Identical blade. But that one looks much thicker.

You have some very nice cutters there !
But if you don't want them... ;)

Back