Mystery part

yota

Registered
Registered
when my 932M-PDF arrived last week, I cleaned all the preservative off and also opened up the column and cleaned the inside and removed all the grease and re-greased with Belray. the next day after I had mounted the mill on the stand I found this on the floor about 2 feet from where I had done the cleaning. anyone recognize this? has me stumped. it feels somewhat polished, is slightly concave on one side and slightly convex on the other. there was no grease or oil on it.
PXL_20210911_134026074.jpg
PXL_20210911_134051058.jpg

wheelabrator media? (grit blast foundry casting cleanup)

I was wondering if it was media for tumbling parts to smooth them up. seems kinda big though.

I agree with tweinke. I would bet you dollars to doughnut holes that is the broken tip off a torx bit. I use those bits all the time in the construction trade and they can shear off evenly just like your photo. Also if you look close at your pic you can see a slight twist on the non chamfered broken side where it was under stress before it broke.

Attachments

• Torx.jpg
    Torx.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 106
I think you nailed it. we were doing the top end on my buds KTM MX bike last week and maybe he broke one off. KTM's have a lot of torx bolts of various sizes and we were both wrenching. I know I didn't break one of mine but I'll have to ask him to check his, great detective work.

Back