Mystery shaper? attachment...

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
I have a an "item" that came with my Queen City shaper (actually a couple items) and I am starting to de-rust some of the shaper parts so I figured I would do this one even though I'm not sure what it is for. (Ignore the big wad of mud on it. :eek:)

Anyone have an idea of what it's use it?

Thanks,

-Ron

I agree with Bill, it looks like some sort of stop although I'm not sure what you would use a stop for on a shaper. Is there a trip lever on the table maybe to stop the feed?

Tom

Ah

When I got my first lathe many years ago it came with things like that, come to find out I found these
things were not shaper or lathe related at all, found to be job related. That looks familiar in my mind
breaking threw the cobwebs Im almost saying a shuttle stop for Krompton Knowles weaving machine
that I worked on It sure looks close. On account of we had a machine shop at the plant, shapers and
all that just made stuff for our weaving dept. Even a wood shop shuttle klappers were wood.
just maybe or not. my guess

If you can't figure out what it was, stick it in a bin and someday you'll figure out what it could become.

Makes me think of a trip dog or something. Not a stop, necessarily, but something to trip a feed mechanism or the like to advance it.

Unless you can find a place on the shaper where ti fits and clamps on a surface, box it, like Hawkeye says.

Makes me think of a trip dog or something. Not a stop, necessarily, but something to trip a feed mechanism or the like to advance it.

Unless you can find a place on the shaper where ti fits and clamps on a surface, box it, like Hawkeye says.

So far I haven't figured out anywhere that it looks like it would go but I'm still trying to figure this thing out and may stumble across the usage at some point. Hmmm, something about a "blind pig finding a truffle" comes to mind... :p :) Not really much to "trip" on the shaper it has an auto advance on the table but that's about it.

How about a piece of a farm implement?
Did you not get this shaper from a gentleman,who with his brother restored farming related equipment?

While possible, I just get the feeling that it is related to the QC shaper. The rust "patina" is the same as on the table and how it's machined/arranged just gives me that impression. I've certainly been wrong before though.

I do have a couple more "interesting" pieces that I'll post when I get a picture of them. In the mean time I would like to get some input on how to deal with these "grease cups" or whatever they are. There are two of them in the belly of this beast and they are threaded around the upper rim on the inside. I am missing whatever is supposed to thread on there be it lids or some other contraption and it would be great to know how I should properly use them.

Anyone know where to find a handbook for a 16" Queen City Shaper? :lmao:

Thanks,

-Ron

That grease cup is actually an oil cup. Have a Standard rolling mill at work with a few of those installed at the oil points. Bushings and such.

If your shaper has a table that rotates side to side that may be a stop that catches the bottom corner of the table when it is level. My Hendey has a part like that only a little different. I think it slides on the bottom of the cross slide The nut and set screw lock it in place and may be let you index the table square to the ram. The grease cups are for grease not oil they are to be packed full of grease then there is a threaded plug that screws in and forces the grease into the sliding block on the stroke adjustment The plug is not hollow it is solid so it acts as a piston to force the grease.

If your shaper has a table that rotates side to side that may be a stop that catches the bottom corner of the table when it is level. My Hendey has a part like that only a little different. I think it slides on the bottom of the cross slide The nut and set screw lock it in place and may be let you index the table square to the ram. The grease cups are for grease not oil they are to be packed full of grease then there is a threaded plug that screws in and forces the grease into the sliding block on the stroke adjustment The plug is not hollow it is solid so it acts as a piston to force the grease.

Thanks much, especially for the info on the grease cups. I'll have to do a little more research on the plugs so that I can make replacements but I'm pretty sure you've started me off in the right direction.

The shaper table is, as best I can tell so far, pretty rudimentary. One of the other parts I have seems to be a "match" for the mystery piece, maybe it'll provide more clues...While you guys are figuring that one out, I've got another "mysterious" part from my shaper pile:

That pointy thing jutting out of the end is a piece of flat "spring steel" (best I can tell anyway). It certainly can't be used for cutting so some kind of indicator? How 'bout it guys?

Thanks again,

-Ron

Rick,

It all makes sense to me. Thanks much for clearing those questions up for me.

Really appreciate the help,

-Ron

Back