Mystery Thread?

Kind of reminds me how in the old days Brown & Sharpe used their own screw pitches. That way you had to buy their screw for $3 or $4 instead of a regular one for 25 cents. I remember retapping many holes for standard size heli-coils.

Fact is way back then mfg.s seemed to pick their own tpi and stuck with it. Could be today
some practice this, don't know but Keith Rucker would with his turn of the century machining.

That was when Taiwan was still making low end cheap stuff, and Americans where doing full resistance to metric. There was a ton of metric thread with imperial wrench sizes kicking around from that era.

Those drive me crazy. It was much better when they went to sizes that ether SAE out metric wrenches fit. Except when you ran into the of sizes of 16mm & 5/8". 3/8" & 10mm were even usually close enough. Actually I'd grab 3/8" for a 10mm head hat was wore out or I thought might strip.

If that is an 80's Jet machine, then it will be a bit of a cludge. That was when Taiwan was still making low end cheap stuff, and Americans where doing full resistance to metric. There was a ton of metric thread with imperial wrench sizes kicking around from that era.
I've got some of that stuff. I don't think it was due to resistance to metric. The US companies having the stuff made just figured that their home-handyman customers would not have metric wrenches. It's a bit mysterious why that hybrid hardware was cheaper than standard SAE, though.

Back