Name that tool !

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a Left hand MT2 tool holder. Suitable for a rear toolpost. Still an MT2 tool holder.

Turn it upside down, drill a second hole for a stud and it can be used as both left and right hand tool holder.

It's a "LH" so to speak if they are even supposed to be a thing..... that is if yours is not a mistake. Drill/MT taper pointing towards the tailstock instead of the headstock.
Darkzero excellent observation. GrifterGuru I left a clue in the first picture with the drill bit in the threaded hole. I've again attached the following pictures. One is the clue and the other is the picture from the website I ordered the tool from. Darkzero's attention to detail separates the Finite Toolmakers from the rest of the litter.

Attachments

• 41DEqfS88AL._AC_.jpg
    41DEqfS88AL._AC_.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2750.JPG
    IMG_2750.JPG
    538.7 KB · Views: 20
I followed your advice and it took me to this link which is where I bought the one that I have. This link shows the correct view of the part that I purchased from them which is backasswards of what is in their picture. Mine is definately a defect. Not a big deal because as has already been stated drill and tap the other side and it will work as it should. The thread is 10mmx1.0 . I have the correct drill bit but not sure if I have the tap. So if I have to buy a tap to repair their mistake then so be it but customers should not have to spend money to make this $hit work.

To make it useful, just drill and tap the height adjuster hole through and put the adjuster on the other side. I'm assuming that the import holder isn't too hard to work with.

After looking at the photos and reading this thread I see a $20 pos china made drill holder vs a $120 Aloris® drill holder.
The Aloris® tool holder would be properly made and is hard enough that I doubt you could drill it much less tap it.
But I thought we all knew that you get what you pay for...

You could make it a little more like a genuine Aloris by giving it a 3/8-24 adjusting screw.

I'm thankful that these Chinese knock-offs exist. I could never modify a genuine Aloris the way I do to make my threaders and I could never sell them for a reasonable price. The knock-offs are hard enough, sometimes too hard.
I got a batch of AXA holders with the tool slot incompletely machined. Seller gave me full refund. I was going to mill them out anyway, but it was nice to get them for free.

Last edited:
Looks like the adjustment for tool height is upside down. On the bottom not the top there by reversing the direction of the drill bit towards the tail stock and not the head stock.

Ass backwards tool holder for MT tools, I could see little use for it, as is. Obviously tapped for the adjusting screw on the wrong side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back