Name That Tool

Hawkeye

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Ok. Since this is posted under Shapers, I'll give you that much. I picked up this little number today from a friend. It would appear to be a 10", according to the ram scale.

P7310022b.jpg

P7310023b.jpg

I spent two evenings trying to find anything like it on the net, but not even close. It would likely fit into the 'benchtop' category. The thick section at the top of the stand is solid wood. All the ways and threads are in beautiful shape.

P7310024b.jpg

P7310026b.jpg

Any insights into make, origin, century...

P7310022b.jpg P7310023b.jpg P7310024b.jpg P7310026b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say I recognize it, but it sure looks clean. You may want to get with the Yahoo group on Shapers. They're a good bunch.

HENDEY
STEPTOE
G & E
SMITH & MILLS
SHELDON VERNON
INVICTA (British)
AMMCO
CINCINNATI
SOUTH BEND
ROCKWELL
AMES (RHODES)

A few names that you might want to track down. The late Art Volz could probably named your shaper without a bit of trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Tony. You have a few names on that list that I hadn't found. There was a circular plate in the middle of the side access door that made me think it might be an Atlas, but no way.

I got it wrestled off the trailer and into the shop, with a period of time spent in the garage trying out a few things. The old 1/3HP motor runs smoothly. I figured out how to set the stroke length and change the tool holders. I'll need to add oil to the sump before I try to cut anything. And, of course, replace the switch, which had obviously been bypassed.

As much as I like my mills, I think the surfacing I'll get from a shaper will make it very useful.

Last edited:
They're an old, but effective means of cutting flat surfaces, in addition to many other shapes. You may end up using it more than you think.

I found it. Didn't expect this one. It's a Lewis.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/lewis/page4.html

Somebody built it from a kit and did a really nice job, too. Looking at the photo of the parts laid out, I can see one difference on mine. The adjustment slot on the big gear wheel extends all the way across. This will allow me to shift the stress on the drive stroke to a set of teeth on the opposite side every now and then.

I already had this bookmarked, but that was before I went to look at the shaper.

Last edited:
I forgot about Lewis, which is ironic, as the Yahoo group I had in mine has tons of Lewis users on it.

Another advantage is when you have someone drop in to the shop and you point it out to them. They say, "What is that?", so you tell them it's a shaper. Then you casually flip the switch and then engage the clutch. There's usually an interesting reaction when the ram starts moving in and out.

I think there will be quite a few jobs that I put on the shaper instead of the mill. Much nicer finish.

Does anyone have any pictures of the setup for T-slots on the shaper?

Last edited:
Rick,
Nice post! The only thing I can add is to emphasize "disable the clapper". It's an absolute must for T-slots and best to do it for dove tails as well. You can get by without it on dove tails as long your clapper angle exceeds the angle of the wall. If not the tool can carve up the side on the back stroke.
Regards
Doug

Thanks for the good detail, Rick. If I replace the compound on my lathe, I'll need to cut both dovetails and t-slots. I'll probably use the shaper for those.

Mike

Last edited:
Back