Need a Dial Indicator for a Craftsman 109

aoresteen

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just got my first lathe, a 6" Craftsman 109. It came with the 4 jaw chuck so I will need a dial indicator. I will be turing 1" 6061 aluminum and CRS 1/2" or smaller. What is a good dial indicator for my lathe? My budget is $100ish.

Also, which Indicol holder will work best on my 109?

Many thanks!

Tony

You can get very good indicators for $20 , used but top quality . You looking for a test or drop type ? As far as the holder , I take it your going to mount it on your live center ? Be easy to make but they are all over Ebay for a couple bucks . Once again , Welcome to the H-M site . :)

I'll take a stab at this since I possibly have a similar lathe. From what I have seen dial indicators and stands are somewhat generic. I must say now that I am essentially a beginner. been at it several years. The precision requirements of your work may dictate the accuracy of the dial indicator. You are no doubt aware of the price variation and it is my belief that accuracy probably follows price. Country of manufacture is important and I believe this is probably tied again very close to price. I would hope that construction and durability follow price,
Personally I have two that are near md-range cost wise with magnetic bases. I also inherited a "test indicator" that is manufactured on a small rod frame work and reads approximately 0.150" either way. It is very sensitive but does not in my mind, provide accurate readings like on a dial indicator.
Not much help but my $0.02 worth.
Good luck and have a nice day
Rock breaker

Last edited:
I started with a 109 years ago as a teenager. Neat little machine if you keep the projects within the scope of the 1/2 spindle strengh, your projects sound fine. If you are hesitant to buy used off from eBay I think I would look at LittleMachineShop and/or Shar's Tool. I have bought from both over time and they both have always taken care of any issues.
Welcome to the forum !

$100 should get you something decent. Worth shopping used too though, my beat up old 2nd hand Mitutoyo drop indicator still works smoother than the the new cheap one I got, although the cheap one came with a nice stand. Get a base & holder with the single knob lockup arms to start, much easier for most jobs.

I only ever had a 4 jaw on my old Atlas 10F for many years. Use the 2 chuck key method to get your work roughly centred then put the drop indicator on the work horizontally from the back side, then with the chuck key horizontal in from the front you just turn the key the same way you want the dial to move to get each pair of jaws centred.

Cheers
Clint

I have the drop type and lever type dial indicators. May be I don't know how the use the drop type. I very rarely use it. The lever type is A LOT more versatile. Just get one with sufficient travel. Mine is +/- 1 mm, 0.01 mm resolution. Good for all works so far.

Back