Need a New Arbor Press

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a cheap HF 1 ton arbor press that I've had for a while. It's one of those things that I don't use often but need/want. I need a bit more working height though. As much as I would love a Famco or Dake I can't afford one & wouldn't drop that kind of cash on something I don't use often so an import will do just fine. No hits on Craigslist, been looking for a while now.

I'm looking at a 2 ton & 3 ton ratcheting. The 2 ton has a max working height of 8-1/2" & weighs about 115 lbs. The 3 ton max work height is 12-5/8" & is about 170 lbs. The one I have now is only 5-1/4" and is 40 lbs.

I'm leaning towards the 2 ton because of weight. It's for my home shop & I don't have a permanent location for it so I'll have to lug it around whenever I need to use it. I was thinking of just getting a bench grinder stand like one of these & mounting it on top of a plate whenever I have to use the arbor press, grinder, buffer, or bench drill press, then I can store away when done.

But I was reading that the 3 ton just barely has enough room to do some broaching. I never had to broach something yet but if getting the 3 ton means I can later then I might as well spend the little extra to get it now. But damn 170 lbs is not something I look forward to moving, not sure if I even can safely, and if even one of those cheap bench grinder stands can support it.

I can get the 2 ton from Amazon for $212 shipped + tax. The 3 ton I can get from MSC for about $250 + tax, no shipping cost cause I have a local MSC outlet. I might even be able to get a bit better discount when I go in.

What do you guys think based on my situation?

I would go for the 3 ton and fab up a lifting eye to move it with the engine hoist.

Dave

Edit: Enco has a 3 ton ratchet type for $193.64 part number 805-1035. If you wait for one of those 20% coupons it would be a better deal.

I would go for the 3 ton and fab up a lifting eye to move it with the engine hoist.

Dave

Edit: Enco has a 3 ton ratchet type for $193.64 part number 805-1035. If you wait for one of those 20% coupons it would be a better deal.

That would be ideal if I had the room for any kind of hoist but I don't & definitely not going to borrow one everytime I need to move it. The 3 ton shipped from anywhere has to be freight. Already priced out Enco, freight alone is $80 & is why MSC would be my choice if I get the 3 ton.

If I get the 3 ton it will definitely need it's own dedicated stand & location. Problem is I don't have room in the garage. Still thinking it's more than I need unless convinced otherwise.

It's own stand. yes. But put it on wheels, that way you can put it back in the corner when you are not using it. Everything in my shop is on wheels except the lathe and mill, including the press.

Have you got a "workshop" press?
I am looking at building a fixture to mount an arbor press onto my H frame press.

Cheers Phil

I am looking at building a fixture to mount an arbor press onto my H frame press.

Cheers Phil
if you don't need one right away od some looking around, especially at old machine shop auctions. I got this one for $200 just a year ago at one, probably because it weighs a ton and usually only junk dealers go for them.press2.jpgi don't know what its rated at, ive scoured the web for that, but cant find out, but with the ratchet engaged its up there because I full stroke of the handle (about 4 feet) only moves the ram about 1/16"

press2.jpg

Nope, don't have a hydraulic press. Takes up too much space & it's not something I would find useful at home. I could just go to my buddy's shop & use his if ever needed. I like arbor presses cause they're much quicker to use, and don't take up as much space.

Well I ended up getting the 3 ton ratcheting from my local MSC. I got an additional discount from my sales guy, got it for $191 & it was in stock. Picked it up this past Friday.

I bought a stand for it from HF. Hopefully it will work out, I'll mess with it next week & will post another pic.

Thanks to all who commented.

Next to my lil 1 ton

Img_9540.jpg

I have been looking at arbor presses and can't seem to find what I need. I want it for broaching keyways. That means I need at least close to 15" to 18" of work height. Cant find an arbor press that big and if I did, I probably can't afford it. I may have come up with a good solution. I think I will buy the hydraulic press at Harbor Freight and also get an air/ manual 12 ton hydraulic jack. With a 20% coupon, the whole shebang is about $200 more or less. The best part is , push the button and easy broaching. I'll let you all know how it works out.

Mark :thinking:

I have been looking at arbor presses and can't seem to find what I need. I want it for broaching keyways. That means I need at least close to 15" to 18" of work height. Cant find an arbor press that big and if I did, I probably can't afford it. I may have come up with a good solution. I think I will buy the hydraulic press at Harbor Freight and also get an air/ manual 12 ton hydraulic jack. With a 20% coupon, the whole shebang is about $200 more or less. The best part is , push the button and easy broaching. I'll let you all know how it works out.

Mark :thinking:

You might want to think about the 5 1/2 inch stroke length of the 12 ton HF jack. Maybe a better choice would be the 8 ton Long Ram Jack with a 17 inch stroke. I think my broach set needs about 12 or more inches of travel and is a pain to use in the HF press.

You will also find that the HF press needs some major modifications to be a stable press for broaching and other precision uses.

Here is what I did for a broach press. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=20713&p=178611&viewfull=1#post178611

Last edited:
Back