Need a new lever or someone who can weld my broken lever for my Model 187Y single lever gear box

joebiplane

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My Heavy 10 model 187Y ( circa 1946) got broken by natural causes ( broke across the hole that slides along the shaft it runs on . it is a clean break and It seems, given today technology, it should be able to be welded by a master welder.... is there any member that can "weld a flies wings to tin foil " ???? FOR A FEE !:angel:
Or does anyone have a replacement lever the cast-in number on my lever looks lihe 9-602 it has been powder coated and the number at not too clear.
Thanks folk
Joe larsen ( joebiplane) :apologize:

My Heavy 10 model 187Y ( circa 1946) got broken by natural causes ( broke across the hole that slides along the shaft it runs on . it is a clean break and It seems, given today technology, it should be able to be welded by a master welder.... is there any member that can "weld a flies wings to tin foil " ???? FOR A FEE !:angel:
Or does anyone have a replacement lever the cast-in number on my lever looks lihe 9-602 it has been powder coated and the number at not too clear.
Thanks folk
Joe larsen ( joebiplane) :apologize:
Can't you just braze it?

I don't think it's actually powder coat- It is an early type of baked-on finish though
Brazing or silver soldering would be the preferred repair for cast iron pieces like that
Mark

he said he powder coated the machine in a previous thread

Yes, it is powder coated. Easy to re do after repair. Pictures of both pieces to come tonight ( film@ 11:00)

Cast Iron Repair, Smokey Point, Washington, (360) 657-7660. Can fix it for you so it looks new. So far as I know they are the only remaining actual cast iron weld shop left in the western US. I’ve taken several cracked and broken cast iron machine tool parts to them and the parts come back as if they were cast in a mold.

They use actual cast iron filler to fuse the parts back together. No mechanical brazing or part welding. Although they do use molten brass once in awhile to fill holes etc., if the job requires it.

You can mail them the,part, they will mail it back to you.

Glenn

Back