Need a New Set of Threading Dies

rogerl

Registered
Registered
I have an old set of hex Craftsman threading dies. I have used them off and on for many years. I tried to cut a 6-32 thread last night and the die would not cut. I need a new set of dies. I did some searching on the internet today trying to find a set of dies. Trying to decide between buying hex dies or round adjustable dies. Looking for a set from 6-32 up to 3/8 both NC and NF. not looking to buy the low cost import. I want something that will last many years. Buy once cry once. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Roger L

For these prices they had better be good .

Keep in mind the majority of hex dies on the market today are meant for repairing existing threads not cutting new ones. I have a set of older Snap On hex dies that are for new thread cutting. When I wore out one I went to Zoro for a replacement. Even though I called and was assured the die was meant for cutting new threads, I got one for thread repair.

Note the ones linked by cross thread are listed as "Thread Repairing Dies"

if you can find old dies that are in good shape from ebay,
you may be better off than anything you are going to get currently from any big box store brand.
some big box store brands are sufficient, but generally are inferior to old school manufacturing when quality wasn't the punchline to a joke that has sent us down a dark path.

Greenfield has always treated me well

without offering other specific brands- any old school USA , German , Poland , Swiss , or Sweden manufactured tooling is the best you are going to get without spending a paycheck

I use hex dies for making new threads , they work fine for me . If you must have adjustable dies , take a look at theses (make sure you are sitting down when you look at the price). You will want the high speed ones .
Mark .

Check Drill America on Amazon. Round 1" HSS dies are about $8 each. I have a bunch of these, use them on steel including stainless, and they work fine.

Most manufactured fasteners have rolled threads as this cold working process produces a stronger fastener. Rethreading dies are designed to clean up/reshape damaged threads on manufactured fasteners. Thread cutting dies are designed to produce threads on unthreaded stock. Using thread cutting dies on manufactured fasteners will cut out the root of the threads potentially causing stress risers and weakening the fastener.

Back