Need a Newbie Project for in home use.

Daver

Active User
Registered
This is probably gonna sound nutz.
I am trying to find a newbie skill level project that has some practical application in the house. I have a 7X10 lathe and a micro mill (haven't made chips with it yet). My wife sees me eyeing tooling and such on here and other places and I keep getting a 'what do you need that for' question. Don't get me wrong, she's not serious or actually giving me a hard time, just some playful crap about how none of this has made anything useful/practical yet.

It doesn't have to be anything massive or hugely complicated (I dont have the skills, tooling, or time to make a clock! lol). I just want something I can point at and say, 'SSSSeeeeee....... so there!'

Anyone got any ideas?

how about building a food processor?

ok...maybe not.

you can:

1. turn a ring holder(s)
2. turn a turners-cube for a keychain, or a larger version to place on the shelf.
3. of course you can make tooling (which you should), but those aren't really practical around the house most of the time

OK, let's approach this head on -- It has to be something for the wife to use. You need to do this to justify buying a Mill. Am I correct so far?

Tell me a little about her not what she is like, what she likes to do for enjoyment, ie, is she a smoker etc. Her hobbies are?

Let's get by this hurdle and we will have her buying the mill for you, maybe.

"Billy G" :thinking:

Bill,

Your only off by a bit. I already have the mill, and the lathe, but little real tooling for either. It's not that I have to get her on my side or even justify it to her. She's not high maintenance or the nagging type. I would just feel better if I could make something she enjoyed or used to kind of put a better light on the tools. (maybe I'm trying to justify all this to myself!?)

A turners cube as keychain... that would be cool. (is there any way to make one in the lathe without a 4jaw chuck?)
(I could make it in the mill I guess! hadn't thought of that)

a Quisinart is a little beyond my capabilities at this point... (but I could put a ginsue in the mini lathea chuck and throw fruit at it! lol)

She loves to cook (and has most of the gadgets already). Something for the kitchen would be cool though.

Any other ideas!?

Find something in the Kitchen that she has had trouble with and fix it as said in another post like a sticking door or drawer. The next time you are out with her at Home Depot etc, show her the money you saved by making the part instead of buying it. Maybe re-invent one of her utensils. The world is yours.

"Billy G" :thinking:

How about a house number plaque or, if you live in an apartment, a plaque with your name on it. Practice on Aluminum and switch to brass. -Adds to that nesting/bonding thing.

A paper towel roll holder? simple disk with a rod sticking up to hold the roll. Yank off a sheet or pick up the whole roll. Mrs. still loves the one I made for her ~25 yrs ago and just had me do repairs on it. try to be sneaky and use stuff on hand.

Steve

One of my first projects was to fix a laundry rack for my wife. The rack hangs from the hinge plates on the door to the laundry room. The rack was made entirely of oak but the hangers kept breaking because of too much weight or kids pulling down on them. My solution was to make brass fittings that the hanger arms would sit in and hopefully spread out the force being put on the arms. Haven't had one break yet. :thumbzup:

laundryrack01.JPG

laundryrack02.JPG

The whole rack would be fairly easy to make and you could easily improvise on it to more suit your/her needs.

-Ron

laundryrack01.JPG

laundryrack02.JPG

Back