VN Need A Part For My Vn 12

Jason Annen

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The support on the right hand side of the table is cracked, probably a result of the power feed running too far. Anyway, I need one, and I would rather buy than make, if I can. Cash or trade, let me know if you have one.

Jason

IMG_20150907_170222108_HDR.jpg

You should be able to braze it up and use it. The odds of finding one that isn't broken are slim and none.

Cal

Like Cal said!
Plus, I wonder if you could notch the crack. Fill it with braze then file it flat. A good coat of paint and you wouldn't know she was patched.
However, while I braze, I won't pretend to be good at it.
Please confirm that my suggestion is worth trying before doing.

Daryl
MN

Cracked probably isn't the best term, the bracket is damaged on both sides, and does not sit flat when bolted to the table. It's working for now, but I think I'll just make one this winter when I have more time.

Jason

I would gouge out the cracks , clean it really well then braze it melt in as much braze as you can . When done wrap it up in some old blankets to help keep the warmth in and let it rest overnite or longer let it cool down very slowly . Then I'd do some light machining to square it up and fit it where it belongs. It will hold up as long as a new one would. Brazing cast is better then welding it. Oh and don't be surprised how much oil burns out of the cast clean it a few times by heating it and get as much oil out as you can just don't melt the casting.

The support on the right hand side of the table is cracked, probably a result of the power feed running too far. Anyway, I need one, and I would rather buy than make, if I can. Cash or trade, let me know if you have one.

Jason

View attachment 110083
i have seem a number of these vn 12's and they all seem to have suffered the same failure. i seriously doubt that you will find one. they would make a good project for a backyard foundry. i wouldn't be afraid to make one out of aluminum if you added some beef to it .

Back