Need a source for threaded rod with non-standard 3/8-20 thread

cazclocker

Purveyor of cheese.
Registered
I'm looking to replace the mounting bolt for my watchmaker's lathe - the one that screws into the lathe bed on one end and through the pedestal and into the benchtop on the other end. I took it to my local hardware store to see if I could just get a length of threaded rod, but no luck. Matching the threads to other existing bolts revealed that it's a very non-standard thread - 3/8-20. There's no problem finding 3/8-16 (coarse) or 3/8-24 (fine), and I could even find 1/4-20, but no 3/8-20.

My usual sources turn up nothing, too...MSC, McMaster-Carr, Enco...I found only one possible source http://www.britishfasteners.com/index.php/products/bsf-38-20-x-12-long-threaded-rod-9004 but it's a bit pricey, and I'll have to confirm with the seller (British Tools & Fasteners) that the thread is indeed 3/8-20.

Anyone know where I can find a 6" piece of 3/8-20 threaded rod? A couple of matching nuts would be nice, as well - temporarily jammed together, they would help grip the center while I tighten it into the lathe bed. Thanks in advance...

Make a sketch of the bolt you need and post it. I can make a new one for you.

Keystone threaded Products. Cleveland Ohio. I used to work there. Probably in stock.

Thanks guys! I've decided to make my own - I ordered a die from Victor Machinery. OldMachinist, I appreciate your kind offer to make one for me...

How I was going to do it was to take a 8"-9" long 3/8" bolt, saw the threaded area off and then cut the 3/8"-20 thread on the shank.

How I was going to do it was to take a 8"-9" long 3/8" bolt, saw the threaded area off and then cut the 3/8"-20 thread on the shank.

Hi Don, that's a great idea - it's already the appropriate material for a bolt (or in this case, a mounting stud). I thank you!

Back