need advice and question about restoration old machine

alihureiby

Registered
Registered
Hello
Greetings everyone,

I always wanted to have small work shop. it started with Taig lathe, drill press, upgrade it to Sieg C2 lathe. But as you know, the Sieg C2 lathe was make me headache with plastic gear in headstock, the tailstock is not comfortable. So in the past 3-4 years, i have been watching scrap yard/ second hand market in my city, I was wait for the vintage lathe, but i get another stuff too, milling, small precision drill press, and others.

if you familiar with one of the machines below, that would be helpfull to me, (german for JMB , and italian for ro-sa drill press)

1. myford ML7 lathe (made in england)
lovely lathe, the tailstock was sooo nice and sturdy, i have question about this lathe, when i bought this lathe, i got what it has on it, so i the gears was uncomplete, can anyone notice what size gear that i need? , and there's cut on spindle thread, is that oke or i need to replace it and bought the new one ( 300 pounds that's expensive) from myford.co.uk. and the last question is about, is that imperial or metric hex screw that used in myford lathe?

2. JMB fräsmaschine (made in W. germany)
JMB fräsmaschine / JMB universal milling machine. when i bought this machine, there's nothing in internet about this machine in english, it so i contact Tony from lathes.co.uk to add thread about this machine. if everyone in here know anything about this, that would be nice. AND THERE's SMALL CHUNK on the cast iron body, anybody know anything about cast iron weld? if everyone have this machine, just curious about the weight of vertical attachment.

3. Unimat MK-IIB lathe (made in Austria)
that's one of rare of unimat lathe, with full cast iron base and body. i think i need to replace the steel rod.

4. Ro-Sa micro drill press (made in Italy)
it's same with JMB fräsmaschine, it's hard to find information about this machine, i have google it with "micromeccanica microtrapano RC" and it take me to orologiko.it , one of the italian wathcmaker forum, i can't access it, so if everyone here is italian, that would be helpfull for me. i dont know the taper of that , i do confused with JT1 and B10.
http://www.nielsmachines.com/en/sold-ro-sa-sensitive-precision-drilling-machine-f.html

and the right corner was machine that used for jevelery stuff, i plan to make surface grinder with that and use LM motion guide for table. So this is it, as long as i know, German and austrian use metric screw, and i'm not sure about italian and england?
best regards
Ali

DSC03156.JPG

DSC03158.JPG

DSC03160.JPG

DSC03162.JPG

DSC03163.JPG

DSC03166.JPG

DSC03167.JPG

DSC03168.JPG

DSC03170.JPG

mellert(2).JPG

micromeccanica.jpg

micromeccanica.jpg

unimat.MK-IIB.jpg

I can help with the ML7 (not so much the others)

The standard set of imperial Myford ML7 change gears is: 20 tooth (x2), 25, 30, 35, 38, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, & 75 tooth.
All are 14.5 deg PA, 20 DP. Which ones you "need" depends on what range or feed speeds/thread you want - you could probably get away quite happily with a subset of these gears to start with.
1522924995538.png

1522925041990.png

The chuck actually registers on the collar at the end of the thread (which I see also has a small knock) so the threads are not so critical. They could be carefully tidied up with a file (or a die if you can source the right size). The collar would need to be very carefully stoned to remove any burr or raised areas without taking off any more metal than is absolutist necessarily.

The tail stock is the later ML7 style so it is post 1960, you can look up the rough year of manufacture from the serial number stamped at the back of the back way at the tailstock end.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/myford/ will give you more information/history.

Thanks mate.

really helpfull. thanks a lot.
i was lucky enought to get ROHM chuck.
and about the hex screw in myford body, is that imperial or metric system?

thanks

I have no experience with any of those machines but they look well worth cleaning up and putting into service. It if were mine I'd try to clean up that Myford spindle before spending a lot of money on a new one. MozzamPete has suggested how. If the threads have a 60 degree included angle a triangular file is the tool. You want to remove all metal that's raised into places it ought not to be, and not worry about depressions. Hopefully it did not get whacked hard enough to do other damage, but you will want to check over the alignment of the lathe after you get it cleaned up ....

I have no experience with any of those machines but they look well worth cleaning up and putting into service. It if were mine I'd try to clean up that Myford spindle before spending a lot of money on a new one. MozzamPete has suggested how. If the threads have a 60 degree included angle a triangular file is the tool. You want to remove all metal that's raised into places it ought not to be, and not worry about depressions. Hopefully it did not get whacked hard enough to do other damage, but you will want to check over the alignment of the lathe after you get it cleaned up ....

thanks, it will be slow restoration process, and what i like from myford lathe is that they still supply (brand new) spare part from myford.co.uk , if i'm not wrong that the last myford was produced in 2005. i have opportunity to purchase vintage southband SB lathe, but this myford show up with the price that i can't say no.

Back