Need advice - Cutting 1018 cold roll steel sheets

compact8

Registered
Registered
The sheet is 2 mm thick. I need to cut out a plate taking the shape of several arcs combined so end mills is the only tool option for me. I have tried 2-flute 5 mm end mill which is OK but the amount of materials removed seems to be more than necessary. If I go for smaller diameter end mills, chip evacuation will be a problem. Will roughing end mills be better ? 4 flutes or 2 ( haven't seen such type ) ? what diameter and RPM will be optimum ?

2mm is close to sheet metal so best tools for that will be snips or shears. How much do you need to do and how large are the pieces?

Manual option:

lots of other possibilities, if it's only one piece your mill might be fine but if you're having problems backing with wood may solve them.

More info and pictures will help.

John

2mm is close to sheet metal so best tools for that will be snips or shears. How much do you need to do and how large are the pieces?
Its a rather small workpiece. Less than 2 inches across so the tools mentioned above may not be applicable. Only one piece need be made

AFAIK, roughing endmills don't come smaller than 3/8". For a single, small part it sounds like you have already found the most practical solution. This is probably too small, but for a lot of this kind of stuff I bandsaw and belt-sand, tolerance permitting.

If the curves are cosmetic (and not slider/bearing surfaces), a plasma torch is the cat's meow.
Only about 1/16th of the width was sacrificed by the cut. And it is fast.

Below is a picture of my step-son using a plasma torch to cut steel sheet, the example is a straight cut, but it also does artful curves too.

Attachments

• 09 Jan 2022 Plasma cutting 22 amp 35 PSI point24MPa.jpg
    09 Jan 2022 Plasma cutting 22 amp 35 PSI point24MPa.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 17
Plasma cutter, water jet, band saw to rough endmill to clean up. No way anyone has enough strength to cut 2mm steel with Wiss hand shears.

Beverly B2 throatless shear could do it no problem. And in any kind of shape, arc or square. Plasma is wonderful too.

AFAIK, roughing endmills don't come smaller than 3/8". For a single, small part it sounds like you have already found the most practical solution. This is probably too small, but for a lot of this kind of stuff I bandsaw and belt-sand, tolerance permitting.
FYI Accusize sells 1/4 and 5/16 roughing end mills

Back