Need Advice On Ground Wire To Grounding Rod

Looks like a good repair to me. One word of caution for folks that live in really old brick homes. If they have bricks that are not fired hardened do NOT use Portland cement. It's to hard and you will do more damage. I don't know much about brick work but that had been beet into my head. Any brick work I tried to do ended up like a 1 year old 's coloring picture. A picture only a grandmother could love.

Reactions: ome
Very nice patch job. When it dries, only you will know that it is a patch. No one else will even notice it.

Our new shed is now getting an upgrade in electric power and is in need of a grounding rod outside of the shed by the elec panel
Shed has hardy board on inside walls and
T-111 5/8 panels on the exterior.
What is the best way to protect the hole in the exterior wall on the lower portion, from snow up agains it or driving rain.
Is there anything better than just 1/2" hole for ground wire from 100 amp service seale with exterior caulking?
I am not sure the caulking will hold up to the elements.
Any ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Jon.

The best protection from moisture is cover, then caulk. Make a trip down to the hardware store and grab a simple cup style drawer pull. Install it over the caulked hole, with caulk behind it, over it, and under it. No worries! Example of style: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sumner-S...-4-in-Matte-Black-Cup-Pull-RL020364/202038146

If this panel in your shed is simply a sub panel fed off your house you should not likely be adding another ground. The combined electrical system should only have ONE ground point at the main panel. You should also ensure that any sub panels have an isolated neutral unlike the main panel at the service entrance where the neutral is bonded to the system ground. Introducing multiple grounds can cause situations that may be dangerous to your safety. Be sure to check local electrical codes for additional concerns before its too late!!!

Gerald

If this panel in your shed is simply a sub panel fed off your house you should not likely be adding another ground. The combined electrical system should only have ONE ground point at the main panel. You should also ensure that any sub panels have an isolated neutral unlike the main panel at the service entrance where the neutral is bonded to the system ground. Introducing multiple grounds can cause situations that may be dangerous to your safety. Be sure to check local electrical codes for additional concerns before its too late!!!

Gerald
Hi Gerald,
I am a bit confused about your advice. The licensed electrician re wired the sub panel electric from where it enters the main house basement to the main panel that was just upgraded to 200 amps. They put a grounding rod outside the foundation where the main service comes in and outside the shed where the service eners the shed tobthe subpanel.
This is all done by a licensed electrical company and inspected for the permit for the upgrade and the subpanel.
I would hope they know what to do correctly.
The original job was done by a contractor who built the shed. Needed to be done over for inspector to pass it.
Thanks,
Jon

• Pull 4 conductors to the sub panel (2 ungrounded (hot), 1 grounded (neutral), 1 grounding) (250.32(B)(1)).
  • Grounded (neutral) and grounding bus must be separate at sub-panel (250.32(B)(1)).
  • No need for a GFCI breaker in the main panel, unless your local code requires it.
  • A grounding electrode is required at the main panel and second structure (250.32(A)).
  • Ground to neutral connected at the main panel
G8pYx.png

Thank You mksj,
That drawing certainly made it very clear to me, and I am not an electrician.
Thank God , I am using a reputable company, that mainly deals with residential.
The shed did not need a permit, but the electric work that was done did need a permit. I made a mistake, by letting the cheap price of the electric sub panel and a light and an outlet , given to me by the contractor, fool me into believing he knew the correct way to do it, according to "code".
So, we needed to upgrade anyway to 200 amps, and we needed to redo the wiring from entrance to main house and the sub panel in the shed, according to the current code, to be able to get the permit and pass inspection.
Now there is a nice new sevice and and two panels and a main became one large 200 amp panel(44) , I think, and another large panel(44).
First one is filled, and the secound one has about 8 slots.
They also put a grounding rod at each location.
The one lesson I did learn, when using a licensed electric company, is to ask if they will be doing a masonry repair, if necessary.
They removed the old service, and one of the bricks just fell apart, leaving a good size hole on both sides of the foundation. They refused to repair it, so I did it , and it came out decent.
But , would have been easier if they had masonry experience, and handled the repair as part of the job.
Thanks,
Raf

Lots of rock here so when I ran the 100 amp service to the shop I went with overhead triplex from the house. Read that note in the code book about not bonding the neutral in a sub panel so removed the screw. The inspector passed everything. Kept getting light shocks on damp days. Turns out that note only applies if the ground wire is carried between panels. In my case the second one wasn't a sub panel, replaced the bonding screw and all was well.

Greg

Correct, you would need to run 4 wires to your sub panel. It is not black or white, and getting grounding right can be complicated, but is very important. This also applies to machines and equipment. Note that local electrical code can vary.

I am still waiting for the fourth inspection, two different inspectors , make for alot of changes.
As long as it is done correctly. They spent alot of time correcting the grounding for the new upgraded main and the sub panel in the detached shed.
Turns out, they should have run the insulated ground in the pvc and not the bare copper.
The inspector even made them add a secound ground from our cablevision to a grounding box on the outside of our house. One inspector really got on the owner of the company, I pray they pass everything, and I can close up the walls in the shed.
Now , the weather is nice, and I am working outside.
Jon

Back