Need Advice On Machining Arbor

Hi, thanks to everyone that helped me with machining this arbor to mount these disks the correct way.
Nice and smooth and no vibration,,, Runs Great,, now need to find a place for it.

Thanks Again,
Tim:)

Attachments

• 0322201256a[1].jpg
    0322201256a[1].jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 0322201256[1].jpg
    0322201256[1].jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 0322201253a[2].mp4
    16.2 MB
Good job! I like the way you made use of two wheels at the same time.

It is so smooth now it doesn't look like it's spinning.
Great work!
-brino

I think your bolt is weak link in chain.
This is what I’ve been working on. Similar but a little different. The delrin bushing helps because it can be a real snug fit on the threads to the point of almost needing to be screwed on. And also snug... snug / tight fit in the grinding wheel. FWIW, even my aluminum washers are a little loose for my liking.
So I put a little piece of paper on the threads when finishing washer. Then put the nut on. And then finished the washers.... cutting faces & diameter. Then did the other one. And all this was done without removing the shaft from the chuck.052D755E-7471-4111-9112-3B6E9CB95B1D.jpegF3D9C4D7-7FDC-44AF-B0A9-6EDD0E2BAF46.jpegC586BF0A-4598-4F37-A719-64A2CA5C5B6E.jpeg

Last edited:
By the way. I tried directly on the motor shaft. But decided to just drive a spindle with a belt. I had way too much vibration when on the motor shaft. Belts and spindles just have less vibration on grinders In my opinion. Direct drive is trickier. I think most motors just aren’t balanced enough for direct drive. I know it’s done. But I haven’t had much luck with that design if I have to change wheels. But, you look good to go.
FWIW, I posted my reply before reading through the entire thread. Just a bad habit of mine. I did it all the time. I also interrupt people when talking to them and try to almost finish their thoughts. Drives my brother crazy. I know, I’m flawed.

Last edited:
Hi Tim9, Is yours screwed right into the motor shaft end?
I have the coupler on the shaft and the coupler end has the cap to hold all together and seems to work good so far, just need to make some guards for it.

I put weed eater line on all threads and really works as good lock washer, have used it for years so everything should stay together, wife thinks disk will fly off and cut me 1/2 then there will be screwballs in the shop.

Have a Nice evening,
Tim

Yes, my shaft was screwed to a dc 500w spindle variable speed motor. It’s a project still in the works. I have a nice Baldor motor which I was originally going to use but I’m trying to make a smaller grinder which I can use similar to a tool post grinder but also use on my end mill grinder. Trying to make it light, somewhat compact, and also multiple use.

Back