Need advice on oxy/mapp kit

O

ome

Forum Guest
Register Today
Hi everyone,
I would like to try the oxygen and mapp or propylene gas to try some light silver soldering.
If i need flux, will do outside on calm day.
Only need to solder two pieces of 1/4 " steel.
I know not to use 12l14 or is leadloy only a no no for welding?
any advice on solder, flux, and any alloy I may want to try.
Enco does not sell the kit any more.
Tractor supply did not either.
Only found on mcmaster. ny help on a brand name or does not matter?
Thanks
Jon

Jon--if you are talking about the small kit that just uses the small throw away bottles of oxy and mapp you are wasting your money--I started out that way but the oxy bottles always went empty by the next use--the valves just didn't shut them off good enough--you would be better getting a small set of oxy/ace tanks and regulators--they run around $300 but are very useful and you can do more with them---Dave

If you're talking about this one, with the small disposable oxygen bottle, don't waste your money. Those little oxy bottles last only a few minutes and cost almost as much as a refill of a much larger tank.

It's probably made by Bernz-O-Matic; at least the similar one I had years ago was.

This torch set from Harbor Freight is about the minimum size for any kind of useful work.

If the parts are not that big, you can do fine with just MAPP gas/air torch. It doesn't take that much heat as long as all your heat is not going off into the atmosphere. Add a little insulation to hold in the heat and shield from breezes, it can handle fairly substantial pieces. Some people still solder and melt small amounts of silver and gold with an alcohol torch and mouth powered blowpipe.

You can't get "real" MAPP any more, they stopped making it. The stuff they sell now isn't much different from propane (cooler than the original MAPP) but they have sort of almost kept the original name so you think you are still getting it. And the price is quite a bit higher than propane of course....

find a local welder supply shop. Airgas come to mind, check out their Radnor branded kits. good bang for the buck.
remember, you will have them for the rest of your life and never be sorry. . .
honest.

Do you have a BBQ with a refillable LP tank? Get a torch handle, properly rated hoses, an LP regulator (or Acetylene works) and either an oxy bottle/reg or a used medical oxygen concentrator. I've brazed bicycle frames with LP/oxy and bronze, so it gets hot enough for anything you'd do with one of those small systems. I can't vouch for the concentrator, but fuel is available 24/7 and most people already own the tank. This thread has lots of info: http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f10/acetylene-vs-propane-30480.html

-Ryan

Yeah, I have the Bernzomatic kit. It is a toy. I had fun with it, but it is no good for anything but entertainment. The oxygen cylinder is $10 and good for about 10 minutes. The valves are fussy, just about impossible to set. If you only want it for one small job and never plan to use an oxy/fuel torch again then it may be an option to consider. But buy extra oxygen bottles or you will be heading back to the store in short order.

Yeah, I have the Bernzomatic kit. It is a toy. I had fun with it, but it is no good for anything but entertainment. The oxygen cylinder is $10 and good for about 10 minutes. The valves are fussy, just about impossible to set. If you only want it for one small job and never plan to use an oxy/fuel torch again then it may be an option to consider. But buy extra oxygen bottles or you will be heading back to the store in short order.
Thank you for an honest review.
Jon

Does anyone here have any experience with the Harvor Freight kit? What does it cost to fill the bottles? How long do they last?

Back