Need advice

snoopdog

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I need to bore the hole in the far right top for a bushing. I'm at my z limit for indicating the hole, and tool change, for mounting on the table. I have enough y if I add a couple of 16x 24 plates, to do the tool change. I want to bolt the plates to the housing after fastening them to the table. This won't be a deep cut, just a cleanup, and then a new od bushing. Suggestions.20231107_180723 (1).jpg

Lead shot in a bag laid on the housing will help reduce harmonics which causes chatter.
Do not know what machine you are using, brand, model? Reason for tool change.
Use another hole for reference with the part clamped to the table, swing the head for tool change, pickup reference hole, then move over to true location of hole to rework. Or use an indicol with DTI.

Last edited:
We used to clamp parallels on edge to our mill tables
This is a good example why I read other members posts even though I don not have the same problem as the OP at the time. Thanks @OTmachine ,you just gave me good advice for future problems. My DRO scales might be a problem though,that is if I understand your method right. Did your mills have DROs on and was the scales bypassed somehow?

Sorry for the hi-jacking @snoopdog but it happens so much in South Africa that maybe it gave off on me :D .

This is a good example why I read other members posts even though I don not have the same problem as the OP at the time. Thanks @OTmachine ,you just gave me good advice for future problems. My DRO scales might be a problem though,that is if I understand your method right. Did your mills have DROs on and was the scales bypassed somehow?

Sorry for the hi-jacking @snoopdog but it happens so much in South Africa that maybe it gave off on me :D .
That's fine, I was remiss about getting back. When I posted , I didn't have the electrical capability to run the big machine. Since the parts were taking a few days to come in, it bought me some time. It's on the big machine now, ready to go.

We would usually use a machine like I have inserted. Using a pair of 2 x 3 x 18” parallels toe clamped to the top of the table extending over front. DRO scales were mounted on the back of the table, (when we finally got them around 1989). Did this on BP’s with turret head also, enabling swinging the head to increase work envelope.

Attachments

• IMG_3509.jpeg
    IMG_3509.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 22
20231110_172909.jpgAll done a couple of days ago, installed and everything is working fine. One thing, I have misplaced my expanding arbors. I needed to rework one bushing, and couldn't find them, driving me crazy.

Glad you got it done. I used to do Helo combining gearboxes on Pratt & Whitney Jig Borers. I have expanding and tapered mandrels that I use for bushings, and that I keep in a drawer. Trying to keep things more organized since I retired.

Back