Need back plate for 4 jaw chuck (CAST?)

rafe

Active User
Registered
I bought a 4 jaw for my 14 1/2" SB lathe. It hasn't arrived yet, but I know I'll have to make a back plate for it. I think I want to use cast iron for it, but i am not sure if other materials are suitable or even more suitable or if it makes that much difference.I have some steels that are a good size methinks,I therefore ask for some feedback,experience etc. I missed a real good deal on one that may have fit ,but this one appears to be a fine candidate for my lathe ....
It's an 8" skinner

skinner.jpg

Cast iron is the medicine of choice. Will not wear your spindle or cause gauling of the threads. Helps dampen vibrations as well.
Pierre

Look on eBay if not I get mine from CDCO they are cast iron and cheaper than most I've found.

Todd

I have bought a few from Tools4Cheap

Cast iron is fine, as long as it is of decent quality, that is no cracks, sand inclusions or such. Steel is harder to work with but will not fail (but then again, neither will good cast iron)...

I machined up a drive plate out of those bar bell things looks like a wheel already has a inch hole. A guy gave me a box of those, all diameters very
heavy & I hate machining cast. When I do its many newspapers and cover the paper with damp cloth. black dirt goes everywhere..

Just a follow up on the progress....actually the end result. I ended up picking up a threaded back plate from Jeff (Tools4Cheap) which needed to be fitted to the chuck. Had to take around an inch off the Plate Dia. then locate four holes drill and tap them and mount it.I also faced it so that it would run true on my lathe. I covered the ways with a rag and held my shop vac near the cut to keep the mess to a minimum. Worked well and clean up wasn't bad at all.
I like using the 4 jaw and don't mind dialing it in , it might be some time before I remount the 3 jaw

Last edited:
Back