need ball handle dim's for cross slide!!!

pjf134

Active User
Registered
My SB9A was missing a ball handle for the cross slide, and I am going to make one, but I would like some rough dim's since I do not have one to go by. I did manage to hog out the broken piece as it was pressed in. I had to use a diamond round nose in my dremmel to hog it out as drill bits would not cut it easily. What I mostly need is length from outside of wheel, and maybe dia. of ball.
Thanks,
Paul

What I really meant to say was the handle used for the cross feed, the part that you put your fingers on to crank is missing. It is just a piece of tapered rod around 2" or so long that gets pressed in the handle. I just need a rough length. I hope that clears it up some. Just trying to get close to original and I will just guess the taper and round end. The old piece is out and I can get a dim. for the hole size.
Thanks,
Paul

If one of the other feed wheels/handles is similar in design, but a different size, get all the dimensions from it, and shrink the dimensions on the missing parts in the same proportion as the others you can get a ratio from. That's more or less how they did things. Everything was propertional, and scaled up or down from a standard. If there is no similar wheels, or handles, this won't help, obviously. Then you have to hope someone can come up with something.

Actually, seems I remember some standards in Machinery's Handbook.

Tony,
The compound one is small, while the apron one is a lot bigger. I am in between those, but I tryed to do a average between the two, but did not seamed to be right. If no one gives me a dim., then I will fudge a bigger one and go from there. Just a little more work that way.
Paul

Thanks Dave,
I did start to make the handle, but cound not find some scrap near the right O.D., so I went just a little smaller, which would not hurt. As you can see in the pic the bored out hole along with the flat washer setup instead of the rocker. And yes I did not finish removing the paint yet, but got a good start, just waiting for some warm weather to finish. I have just been picking at it every day. It's been raining a lot lately, so I just been fixing little odd's and ends. Too many projects at one time, mower, tractor, truck ect., but the lathe is running, so not all is lost. The sand blaster and belt sander will come out when I am ready to do a final teardown.
Paul

DCP_0442.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back