need bridgeport series 2 parts

gyro-dawg

Registered
Registered
We just got a Bridgeport series 2 milling machine. The motor took a long time to spin up and the variable drive rattled. When I pulled it the motor, the shaft key way is trashed and the lower shaft has some wear. The bottom half of the drive pulley has a little wear but I think new bushings may fix it. Has any one ever welded a motor shaft to build it up and machine it back to original specs. where could I find an affordable motor. (4 hp 230 v 3 ph)
I have quite a bit of experience welding parts up and machining or simply grinding them back to specs but have never tried it on some thing as precise and balanced as a long motor shaft. Any help would be appreciated.
Also if any one knows a good source for parts on this machine.
thanks, Gyro-Dawg.

Given that the motor is trashed without the repairs, what have you got to lose? Just try not to get it too hot over a large area. You might be able to get a motor rebuilder to put in a new shaft, but I don't know if that's possible. Might be worth asking.

As far as a new motor, Baldor makes them, but they're not cheap. There be some on the used market, check Ebay.

For new and used parts, I would Google ''bridgeport parts'', there are a lot of vendors.

Hi Gyro-Dawg, just a thought, turn the shaft 180 degrees and cut a new key slot. No need to damage the windings if you don't need to. Also here is a Craig's listing of a 2hp motor in the SF bay area (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bfs/4862253392.html). I hope you get you BP up and running, I use mine all the time.

This is true unless it is a Series II Special (2J2 head) at which case it is a 2hp version. Sorry for the confusion

We just got a Bridgeport series 2 milling machine. The motor took a long time to spin up and the variable drive rattled. When I pulled it the motor, the shaft key way is trashed and the lower shaft has some wear. The bottom half of the drive pulley has a little wear but I think new bushings may fix it. Has any one ever welded a motor shaft to build it up and machine it back to original specs. where could I find an affordable motor. (4 hp 230 v 3 ph)
I have quite a bit of experience welding parts up and machining or simply grinding them back to specs but have never tried it on some thing as precise and balanced as a long motor shaft. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks, Gyro-Dawg.

watch this guy/part 1 & 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-...&x-yt-ts=1421914688&feature=player_detailpage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-...&x-yt-ts=1421914688&feature=player_detailpage

I forget for sure where on the web I'd seen a page where someone who rebuilds Bridgeports showed the sequence of welding the shaft and recutting the keyway. IIRC, he welded the old keyway closed, turned it straight in a lathe and then recut the keyway 180º from the original one to avoid the hardness that may have occurred in the welded area. You will need a woodruff key cutter because the key that sits in that keyway has a shape like the letter P. From memory - about 2/3 the length of the keyway is straight and the end closest to the motor dips inward to accommodate the top of the P. That is to keep the key from pulling out of the shaft since the sheave slides back and forth on it. I was lucky, I didn't need to reweld mine. If memory serves correctly, it was probably on the Yahoo Bridgeport group where they have the photos of the process and I'm thinking it was around 2007 since that's about when I got my Bridgeport.

thanks, Gyro-Dawg.
Any good electric motor repair shop can weld the shaft and cut new keyway. So you could too. I have.

Back