Need Cnc Setup Help Please

Randy803

Registered
Registered
I am building a CNC column milling machine. I have some questions about the Stepper Motor Driver Dip Switches for Pulse Revolution. I have read and read and still do not understand it.

Stepper: WANTAI Model 85YGH450C-0128 NEMA 34 1600oz
Step Angle = 1.8
Rate Volt= 5.7
Rate Current = 3.5amp
Phase Res = 1.9
Phase Ind = 22
Holding Torque = 11.5 N.m
Lead Wire = 4

Driver: WANTAI Model DQ860MA

I am trying to figure our how to set the Pulse Rev dip switch

Should it be 400, 800, 1600 ???

I have the Driver current Dip Switch set to 3.5amp

Any help explaining this or just giving me the right setting would be very much appreciated.

RandyrBVaHVUTNVOAcMdLAAB7uSPjGMQ949.jpg 391443948_211.JPG

Attachments

• DQ860MA Manual.pdf
    257 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hazarding a guess, your motors are 200 steps/rev (1.8 degrees/step) and 4-wires, so 2 wires per phase - and most systems use half-steps so you should try setting the steps/rev to 400.

It won't hurt anything if it's wrong - you'll just get twice as many turns of the motor as you expect. If that happens, change to 800 steps/rev.

Good luck!

Stu

I have the same motor and driver. Here's a picture of my switch settings. Hope this helps.

Tom S

Some things I have read suggest 8 micro steps is about the optimum value. The Gecko drives use 10, but I think they are the only one. I have used 8 on all my machines and all the build class machines.

This does of course factor into the calculation of the steps per Unit value in the software.

Tom how are those Nema34 1600oz motors? I am trying to build a milling machine that will do real steel work, no interest in engraving.

Tom how are those Nema34 1600oz motors? I am trying to build a milling machine that will do real steel work, no interest in engraving.

More than enough power for machining steel, including stainless. Let me give you a "stupid me", "slap on the forehead", example. I was milling aluminum with a 5/8" two flute HSS end mill and after finishing the cut I hit the Y rapid travel button instead of the +Z rapid button. Ran the cutter into the part and cleanly snapped the end mill off at the collet. Checked my part 0, 0 and to my surprise I didn't lose any steps. With that being said I feel comfortable taking heavy cuts and not worrying about missed steps.

Tom S.

nice pic Tom
I'm running the 1600oz motors on 5 pitch screws with 1600 pulses per revolution
If you have figured in enough reserve power when picking your motor The higher settings are more accurate and run
very quiet.
Steve

Thanks to everyone I have the system setup and running on the table now. I really appreciate all your help!

Back